Post Office charging Customs Handling Fee on Imports

mr_norris

Expert Member
So who can we escalate this to?
I'm a bit late to this thread party, but I followed the complaints process listed on the SAPO website. Logged a complaint with them first, waited 5 working days (and some change), then logged a complaint with ICASA.

Once I hear from ICASA, I'll update this thread. But we're looking at 14 working days+. At least ICASA bothered to send me a reference number. SAPO did sweet nothing.

airborne

Executive Member
I'm a bit late to this thread party, but I followed the complaints process listed on the SAPO website. Logged a complaint with them first, waited 5 working days (and some change), then logged a complaint with ICASA.

Once I hear from ICASA, I'll update this thread. But we're looking at 14 working days+. At least ICASA bothered to send me a reference number. SAPO did sweet nothing.
What did you base the complaint on?

mr_norris

Expert Member
Link didn't work - but that is their response on facebook.
Here is a working link.

What did you base the complaint on?
I asked for clarity on the charge, because from my perspective, we're pretty much getting double charged - but that was before I realised there was a document which much explained it, and a thread here :p I don't have high expectations, I am just interested in what they say.

dojob

Yes I'm also charged R24 for my parcels lately. It is a lil rough especially when you order something for less than two dollars.

The very least they should provide clarity on their website regarding these charges.

dalkill

Collected Wish order on Sat with R24 handling fee.

Got home yesterday , and another love letter, R24.

All items less then $5 in value.

So looks like another zupta tax. I'm afraid to say it, but all we can do is bite the pillow... they going in dry :)

x-ray

SAPO R24 handling fee

Well I didn’t mean they need to open every single one.

I meant more like X-ray and check.

And yes I know that’s how it always was in the past but they are also trying to change the game.
" Now SAPO wants to make more money than the sender. :mad:
Let us start sending these small parcels back. I will now check each CN22 item to my purchase list and for all small value items - I will not accept the delivery and ask for the parcel to be sent back to the sender.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
" Now SAPO wants to make more money than the sender. :mad:
Let us start sending these small parcels back. I will now check each CN22 item to my purchase list and for all small value items - I will not accept the delivery and ask for the parcel to be sent back to the sender.
Sure...spite yourself over R24.

All the stuff is still cheaper than anywhere I would buy it locally.

airborne

Executive Member
Picked up 3 yesterday, paid R24 on the two that had a tracking number, nothing on the 3rd.
I think the main reason a few parcels aren't getting the R24 fee is they arrived at the distribution hub before the fee was implemented, those same parcels that take forever to arrive because they get lost in limbo in some arcane crack of reality inside the Sa Postal system.

As it is now, according to my connection at the local Post Office, all the Cn22 parcels get sorted into their own postal bag at the main in coming postal hubs and then sent directly to the Post Office branch for the "come collect your sh#t and bring R24 slips", but I suppose despite that one or 2 may still sneak under the radar and arrive at the branch as a normal intl incoming parcel as it was before.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
4 packages received on Friday = zero charge
1 slip received on Friday = R24
2 slips received today = R48 (when they handed it over it was three packages :confused:)

Drifter

Honorary Master
This is starting to confuse the crap out of me. Received 4 parcels yesterday, 1 from UK with tracking number - No charge, 1 from CZ with tracking number - R24 , 3 from wish, only one with R24 charge.

airborne

Executive Member
As per our good old Sa Po I think the implementation is a bit spotty. Their official release to the Po counter staff reads like this: "handling fee R24.00 to be charged on all Wish/small packets/CN22 items".

XTM

sender did not provide any tracking on mine. I'm not going to collect it if they going to charge R24.

airborne

Executive Member
Surely this presents a business opportunity for AliExpress to also offer a consolidation service?
But who buys from Aliexpress anymore, they almost always more expensive than anywhere else?

That probably will never happen, Aliexpress is like eBay, most of the sellers are independent so you can't consolidate shipping if items are from different sellers.

KVoigt

I’m a bit late to this thread but I was wondering if someone could clear a few things up for me. Is the CN22 items only items that have tracking or do they include those cheap ebay shipments with no tracking of any kind? Also, I received two slips to pay R24 and on the back of one some numbers were printed. I was wondering if this has something to do with my package (because the numbers don’t seem to match at all) or if SAPO is reusing paper from other documents to print these slips. 989D1DEC-78FD-4885-AD78-57B1C0A8A8A2.jpg

airborne

Executive Member
I’m a bit late to this thread but I was wondering if someone could clear a few things up for me. Is the CN22 items only items that have tracking or do they include those cheap ebay shipments with no tracking of any kind? Also, I received two slips to pay R24 and on the back of one some numbers were printed. I was wondering if this has something to do with my package (because the numbers don’t seem to match at all) or if SAPO is reusing paper from other documents to print these slips. View attachment 479548
That's the Po reusing paper, I often get receipts printed on lotto paper.

Cn22 refers to intl parcels with a value of below somewhere around R4000. They charge the R24 fee on every CN22 parcel now, no matter how small.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Guy at the post office said they're upping the R24 to R40 next year - apparently, according to him, they're trying to discourage the use of sites like wish.com - because they can't handle the mail load. i.e. incompetent.