Post Office charging Customs Handling Fee on Imports

Tinuva

The Magician
Guy at the post office said they're upping the R24 to R40 next year - apparently, according to him, they're trying to discourage the use of sites like wish.com - because they can't handle the mail load. i.e. incompetent.
Yeah that definitely will change the bang for buck on those cheap chinese items. Paying R40 when you have to wait 4 months for a parcel just aint worth the money. When it was free it was worth the wait.

XTM

why don't they just shut down bloody operating if they can't handle. that will atleast other int'l companies knows they must stop using SA postal services.

airborne

Executive Member
Yeah that definitely will change the bang for buck on those cheap chinese items. Paying R40 when you have to wait 4 months for a parcel just aint worth the money. When it was free it was worth the wait.
If paying R24 meant 2 week turnaround to local delivery from the date the parcel lands in Sa I'd gladly pay it but as it is its just a slap in the face after a ridiculous wait.

They can't change the fee to R40 until the new postal rates are published, that's on 1 April each year.

If they do that it will be a sad day, it will make many things not really worth the wait/cost. China is awesome for finding obscure tools and spares or just buying a limited quantity of some goody vs local guys wanting to sell you more than you'd use in a lifetime.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Then they achieve their objective ;)

dojob

From the SARS Website - http://www.sars.gov.za/FAQs/Pages/2307.aspx

What is the R24 fee that the South Africa Post Office charges on postal items?

The CN22 code R24 charge is a Post Office Assessment Fee and not a SARS Customs charge.

As per the Post Office website https://www.postoffice.co.za/contactus/questions/postalrates.pdf on page 18:
Customs clearance (Handling fee):

A customs clearance fee of R46,50 is charged on all incoming parcels and R24,00 on all other postal items. This fee is charged by the Post Office to cover costs incurred in clearing the parcel/postal item on behalf of the addressee.

This fee is levied over and above any customs duties, VAT, etc charged by SARS or any other entities and is levied even if no other charges are due.

As the Post Office may change their rates and fees from time to time, please check their website on a regular basis for the most recent and correct amounts: https://www.postoffice.co.za/contactus/questions/postalrates.pdf.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Got my first R24 notice, sigh. There goes my $1 impulse eBay purchases.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I got a 4 or 5 off them at once. They can keep it. It will cost and be more effort for them to send it back or do whatever with it.

Totempole

Expert Member
Just gotta be smarter about what and how much you buy in one go. As long as you spend at least R150 at a single merchant, it's still worthwhile.

afrodeity

This is nothing more than an idiotic means to generate revenue for the operator.

POST OFFICE: Look at all those small packets coming from overseas, that's a revenue stream, lets just charge our customers R24.

This equals $1.8 per packet, so any pencils, free samples, ICs and other cheap to nothing items are getting taxed, even though the way the post office is supposed to work, is that there is a postal union, the sender pays, and receiver doesn't.

Getting small packets like this was a godsend, since we so far away from any other major centre.

No worries, South Africans will figure a way out to make each other miserable.

Milano

Honorary Master
It is still criminal that their clearing fee is in many cases way higher than the cost of the actual item.

airborne

Executive Member
Keep in mind the Post Office issues revised fees every April, let's hope this fee does not get the inflation treatment.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Daylight robbery. My order was so small they could've dropped it in my PO box yet they want to milk R24 from me and force me to go stand in a queue.

Rabobi

Executive Member
PO box will not be renewed, hope they die a slow painful death

tenngie

I collected parcel from joom and paid R24 at the post office.the parcel arrived 1st of January to The country byt only received it yesterday.question-;if I buy like 5 small same items from the same seller do I pay 24r each item or 24r for both?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I collected parcel from joom and paid R24 at the post office.the parcel arrived 1st of January to The country byt only received it yesterday.question-;if I buy like 5 small same items from the same seller do I pay 24r each item or 24r for both?
If the seller sends them individually, you pay for each one.

Totempole

Expert Member
What is the average wait time for parcels these days? I just received a parcel from Gearbest that I ordered at the beginning of October via regular Post. At least I got it eventually I guess.

You would've thought the R24 charge would result in less parcels going missing, but it's far worse than it's ever been. 1 in 3 parcels are just not arriving.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I'm also wondering that. I ordered stuff from MyProtein last year - something like the end of November. It arrived in South Africa in the middle of December, and left customs on the 20th of December.

It has now been sitting in JIMC for 6 weeks and I am wondering if a JIMC employee is now using the MyProtein stuff I bought.

airborne

Executive Member
I have had very few losses over the last 6 months, an item may take forever to arrive but it eventually does, delivery seemed to speed up after they started charging the R24 and then nosedived again :(

Just forget about what you order other than noting in your calendar when the buyers protection expires and when they arrive they arrive.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Had a parcel shipped fro, Hungary on 06/02/2018 - In SA yesterday, let's see how long customs takes. Same breath, had an item shipped from UK last month, still en route. Royal Mail is worse than SAPO.