Post Office charging Customs Handling Fee on Imports

Totempole

Expert Member
What's the best way to get an international tracking number "converted" to a local tracking number?

I gave up on the customer care number after 25 minutes on hold. I've tried the email a number of times, but also no response. Even tried the SMS option, but no luck. :(

airborne

Executive Member
What's the best way to get an international tracking number "converted" to a local tracking number?

I gave up on the customer care number after 25 minutes on hold. I've tried the email a number of times, but also no response. Even tried the SMS option, but no luck. :(
Try 17track

Tinuva

The Magician
17Track only provides tracking info until it's sent to South Africa. Once it gets here, you need a local number to get any further.
Thats news to me...

All the items I send to SA I can use the international tracking number all the way to my local PO. On both 17Track and the international and SA tracking websites.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Thats news to me...

All the items I send to SA I can use the international tracking number all the way to my local PO. On both 17Track and the international and SA tracking websites.
Agreed. 17track does do local tracking as well. I'm busy tracking two local parcel currently and it's updating regularly.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just look at the jumps in date in my attached picture, in earlier post. Sometimes there can be a month between tracking updates on the website.

msnagdee

Same goes with R24 Post office charge for items ordered on Ebay or Wish. Thought its just maybe once off when it happened a few months ago. Now I see that every one on my items are attracting this fee.
1. R24 is hand written on the collection card.
2. No official slip as in registered mail stating amount to pay.
3. No receipt for the charges is issued, The money are just accepted casually.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Had a parcel shipped from Hungary on 06/02/2018 - In SA yesterday, let's see how long customs takes. Same breath, had an item shipped from UK last month, still en route. Royal Mail is worse than SAPO.

I received this yesterday, so 5 weeks from Customs to me.

airborne

Executive Member
I received this yesterday, so 5 weeks from Customs to me.
It's really sad that this extra R24 fee hasn't resulted in at least shortening the delivery times once the parcels hit Sa, the Post Office.... swine!!!

I'd gladly pay R24 for guaranteed 2 week turnaround once the parcels land in Sa.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
It's really sad that this extra R24 fee hasn't resulted in at least shortening the delivery times once the parcels hit Sa, the Post Office.... swine!!!

I'd gladly pay R24 for guaranteed 2 week turnaround once the parcels land in Sa.
That's like hoping to get more for the extra taxes you pay each year.

Drifter

Honorary Master

I didnt pay for that one. Received 2 parcels, only paid for one.

airborne

Executive Member
Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile getting a Postnet mailbox, rather than using the PO?
That's an interesting situation but from what I understand a Postnet mailbox is just a glorified forwarding address, Postnet collect/receive the postal mail in bulk from the Post office and then place your mail in your Postnet mailbox.

What will happen is you will receive the collection slips in your Postnet mailbox and still need to go collect the parcels and pay the fee at the Post Office.

Lope

Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile getting a Postnet mailbox, rather than using the PO?
If you receive a lot of SAPO post, then Postnet is a wonderful service. They go to the post office pretty much every day and collect all your mail for you.

I got one for the first time last year, but I got it too late, because most of the stuff I order costs $1-$3 so the R24 or R46.50 has killed my joy.
I would have really enjoyed the postnet box before the receiving post fee SAPO scam started.

The SAPO delay is another problem which makes SAPO intolerable for me. I ordered a LOT of parcels in the last year and had to wait 2~9 months for my stuff to arrive and only 96% of it has arrived.
So I've had enough of SAPO, I'm looking for alternatives.

Last edited: