Post Office charging Customs Handling Fee on Imports

airborne

Executive Member
If you receive a lot of SAPO post, then Postnet is a wonderful service. They go to the post office pretty much every day and collect all your mail for you.

I got one for the first time last year, but I got it too late, because most of the stuff I order costs $1-$3 so the R24 or R46.50 has killed my joy.
I would have really enjoyed the postnet box before the receiving post fee SAPO scam started.

The SAPO delay is another problem which makes SAPO intolerable for me. I ordered a LOT of parcels in the last year and had to wait 2~9 months for my stuff to arrive and only 96% of it has arrived.
So I've had enough of SAPO, I'm looking for alternatives.
What do you mean by alternatives, the only alternative which avoids your parcels coming via Sapo is to use faster courier shipping when ordering, which normally isn't worth it unless its high value smallish item..

Lope

What do you mean by alternatives, the only alternative which avoids your parcels coming via Sapo is to use faster courier shipping when ordering, which normally isn't worth it unless its high value smallish item..
When I say alternative, what I have in mind is shipping consolidation.

For example I've used Reship.com and viabox.com (IIRC) to buy stuff from USA.
Reship was quite expensive with all the extra charges per item adding up and viabox was more economical.
They consolidate all your stuff, remove the excess packaging and pack it all together in one box.
This *can* reduce the dimensions, reducing the shipping cost that way.

But in the case of SAPO, it allows you to consolidate maybe 20 small items into one box and pay one clearance fee with FedEx or whatever.
Last time when I used Reship and viabox I was not in SA, but in any case, it wouldn't make sense to use an american consolidation company for items from China/HK/Taiwan.

I'd like to find a consolidation company in china or something ideally.

airborne

Executive Member
A consolidation company would work, problem is Chinese sellers we use generally don't like/won't shipping to Chinese addresses, I think the postage is the issue, you'd probably have to use an address in some other Asian country like Singapore etc.