Post Office developing online car licence renewal app - end October launch

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Online car licence renewal app launch date announced

The South African Post Office (SAPO) says it has begun development on a mobile application to renew motor vehicle licences and plans to release it by the end of October.

In a statement issued this week, the Post Office said it would like its clients to complete the whole licence renewal in the comfort of their own homes or offices.

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Online car licence renewal app launch date announced

The South African Post Office (SAPO) says it has begun development on a mobile application to renew motor vehicle licences and plans to release it by the end of October.

In a statement issued this week, the Post Office said it would like its clients to complete the whole licence renewal in the comfort of their own homes or offices.
Wow, hope the app isn't a train smash like SAPO itself, lol. But this is what grinds my gears, why not allow the admin **** to be done online? Applying, booking and writing learners tests. Booking driver's licence tests and renewing a drivers licence. Honestly, an online solution should mostly solve shitty service and 50 km long queues from the local traffic department.
Does no one do web development anymore? Everything doesn't need to be an app.
Ye, many people don't realise that you don't actually need mobile apps anymore just responsive sites. But on the other hand, maybe it's nicer to have a dedicated app for this? But yeah, I agree with you

s0lar

Expert Member
Smart, at least they are starting to get it that they need to modernise to stay in business and in turn relevant. Let hope its not just a tender kickback.

Cius

Executive Member
I would not trust them to deliver my license, and you still have to go to a post office to collect it so not seeing the big benefit. Probably stick to paying my local pick n pay to do it for me for now.

B-1

Expert Member
Ye, many people don't realise that you don't actually need mobile apps anymore just responsive sites. But on the other hand, maybe it's nicer to have a dedicated app?

Why would you want to keep an app on your phone just to renew your vehicle licence once a year though. Now you need to go to the app store search for the app, download, install go through whatever intro they no doubt have instead of just going to a site, log in and pay. Never mind all the security issues the app can introduce to your device.

lkswan747

Expert Member
Well this App will not work as every time one goes to a PO branch to renew car licenses, their systems are "offline"
This idea is absolutely absurd considering from where it is coming from!

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Why would you want to keep an app on your phone just to renew your vehicle licence once a year though. Now you need to go to the app store search for the app, download, install go through whatever intro they no doubt have instead of just going to a site, log in and pay. Never mind all the security issues the app can introduce to your device.
Yeah, m8. That's why I said I still agree with you, lol

konfab

Honorary Master
Wow, hope the app isn't a train smash like SAPO itself, lol. But this is what grinds my gears, why not allow the admin **** to be done online? Applying, booking and writing learners tests. Booking driver's licence tests and renewing a drivers licence. Honestly, an online solution should mostly solve shitty service and 50 km long queues from the local traffic department.

Ye, many people don't realise that you don't actually need mobile apps anymore just responsive sites. But on the other hand, maybe it's nicer to have a dedicated app for this? But yeah, I agree with you

CVsRQhXXAAAcP50.jpg

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Ah but they don't specify end of October in which year. Very clever!

They did mention,

“This service — part of the SAPO in my Pocket strategy — will be available by the end of October this year. The Post Office will continue to offer in-store renewal at selected Post Office branches.

but let's be honest here, we all know that state is miserable at online services. The most usable portals at this time are SARS and CIPC (BizPortal), both of which are, as I believe, are managed and serviced over an extended period of time.

Everything else, not only does it have teething issues, but is seemingly missing a plan of action. I believe that project management within the state sucks big time, ultimately their strategies never fully gets off the ground.

I am only speaking of online services here... You can argue that SASSA works, but it is seemingly exposed to corruption, of which most are enabled in the backend. Justice systems screwed, police systems screwed...

So yeah, this SAPO system will be ready just over a couple of Octobers.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
It's a race between survival and trying to prove their "value" in staying open.

Reactions: XTM

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Why not? do you have apps on your phone? Do you use every app every day?

Jirre the excuses people come up with are just funny AF.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I'd rather do this via the FNB app. Won't be their guinea pig

They already renew licenses, I assume this system is just a mere implementation of the user feeding their own information remotely into the system than having it captured by SAPO staff via the renewal form in office.

I am expecting teething issues.

agentrfr

Executive Member
ah yes I want the post office to have unbridled unencrypted payment processing information of my credit card so that it can be stolen / misused / hacked / expropriated as is convenient for them