Post Offices closed by malls for not paying rent

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Post Offices closed by malls for not paying rent

Landlords have seized equipment and kicked out the South African Post Office from their malls for not paying rent.

According to the Post Office, it has resolved most of these rental disputes, but two post offices East of Pretoria remain closed: Parkview Shopping Centre in Moreleta Park and Menlyn Retail Park in Newlands.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
I don't think anything about our SOEs should shock us anymore. The scary part was only 55 Post Offices out of over 1000 are profitable.
Close them then! Save cash...place more staff elsewhere in order to get queues moving quicker.

chrisc

Executive Member
Kenilworth Centre, Cape Town was closed in Dec 2019. Management chained the doors and its been like that since

Friend's wife runs a clothing shop 2 doors away and said the PostMaster was aware that the rent was 9 months in arrear, but his requests to have it paid fell on deaf ears

One of the ladies who worked at this branch still receives her salary and walks past once or twice a month to see if anything is happening

Milano

Honorary Master
Like a non-stop circus. How does a state entity fail to pay rent? How asleep do you need to be to forget to order your bailout.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I live in an area in Cape Town with no street postal delivery, so everyone in my area has to get a post box if they want to get any post. Just got my annual renewal letter in my postbox and this is the first year that I am seriously not considering renewing my postbox. Besides that letter I can't remember the last time I actually got any post. Even traffic fines and motor vehicle renewal notices aren't posted anymore so I actually don't know what the point of having a post box is anymore. The last 3 traffic fines I got (for going 70 in a 60 zone) never got to me and I only knew about them because I'm subscribed to Paycity who notified me about the fines.

ilikepi

Like a non-stop circus. How does a state entity fail to pay rent? How asleep do you need to be to forget to order your bailout.
It really is a full on clown show, my father has done work with the ANC specifically, and it takes a minimum of 6 months to get your money out of them (if you're one of the lucky ones who gets your money), this is also 6 months of fighting with them and disputing invoices, etc.

I think in their opinion, they are entitled to things and you should be happy to serve them.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
It really is a full on clown show, my father has done work with the ANC specifically, and it takes a minimum of 6 months to get your money out of them (if you're one of the lucky ones who gets your money), this is also 6 months of fighting with them and disputing invoices, etc.

I think in their opinion, they are entitled to things and you should be happy to serve them.
Change preferred payment method to "cash up front" - if they choose somebody else, it's not your loss, but somebody else's loss.
Face it, is the stress and heartburn trying to get paid worth the time and effort? Let somebody else (preferably your competition) waste their time and battle for the money while you have time for more rewarding clients.
Naaah, I'll service clients who're willing to pay. Difficult ones can have my "cash up front" policy, and only get service if they paid in full.

Grouter

Expert Member
When I last went in to a post office, it was my local. It was about 7 years ago. I wanted to ask the postmistress how I go about cancelling my postbox, as I hadn't had anything in it for over a year.
I ask "How do I go about cancelling?"
She says "You don't. You just stop paying."
I said "Huh?"
She says "Well, when someone else wants your box we simply change the lock and give them the new keys".
That was 7 years ago. I tested my old box key a few weeks ago - it still works. I haven't paid for the box in all that time, and BTW the box was empty.

ilikepi

Change preferred payment method to "cash up front" - if they choose somebody else, it's not your loss, but somebody else's loss.
Face it, is the stress and heartburn trying to get paid worth the time and effort? Let somebody else (preferably your competition) waste their time and battle for the money while you have time for more rewarding clients.
Naaah, I'll service clients who're willing to pay. Difficult ones can have my "cash up front" policy, and only get service if they paid in full.
lol, deposits and all that are common place, but yeh, anything in arrears sits in arrears for time, it's painful, the other one's that are terrible clients are any of the unions (I sort of consider them as all being cut of the same cloth)......horrific clients......want everything for free and have no respect for your property

j4ck455

Executive Member
Expect SCAMRAL to start spamming via email and new radio advertising campaigns about how innovative its etollie is.

I assume SCAMRAL is one of the SABC's last advertisers?