Easter Bunny

Expert Member
is there a size limit? because takealot sends 1 cubic metre boxes for things like sd cards, so post office can't handle those kinds of deliveries (or, in reality, any other kind of delivery)

stoymigo

The South African Post Office (Sapo) wants courier companies to pay it an "agency fee" for the privilege of delivering parcels that weigh less than 1 kilogram.

The privilege of delivering parcels....just gold!

Swa

Honorary Master
This would also be illegal. You can't contract out a license to provide service. SAPO can only appoint agents if it brings in the business and so plays a role in providing the service.

Blackhand

These state sanctioned monopolies need to be brought to an end, the damage they have done to the country and economy must be in the trillions by now.

I'm no legal expert, so out of my depth here, but there must be a way to legally challenge Postal Services Act 124 and get it revoked.

Swa

Honorary Master
Post-Office-Closure-600x400.jpg

Did a license disc renewal at Halfway House PO. It is simply the worst PO I have ever seen. Depressing, dark, gloomy, and musty smelling, with aircon heat turned up way past 28 degrees even in summer. Sullen and sour-faced employees who act as if they are doing you a great favour. Most unreasonable --they insist on cash only, no other means of payment allowed, and you have to come with your own photocopies of proof of address and ID. Proof of address also may not be an electronic invoice, got to be the original one sent through the post.
Honestly the worst experience ever.
Haha. Electronic invoices are accepted everywhere. So predictable that Sapo which can't deliver post insist they be posted.

Reaper1242

Translation: "We're too dysfunctional to manage all these extra 1kg deliveries but damnit if we're not going to screw with those who can"

Cray

Honorary Master
Thats what happens when you have a monopoly.. like it or not.

PS I find it hilarious that people cry about this but turn a blind eye to corp sa being caught anti-competitive numerous times..
The competition commission usually levels significant fines to punish and remediate anti-competitive behaviour, when will the Post office be fined?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Headline: FPB to charge Netflix a fee to self-rate content

SAPO to FPB: "Hey, I like your homework project! Can I copy it?"

FPB: "Sure, just change things up a little."

SAPO:

The South African Post Office (Sapo) wants courier companies to pay it an "agency fee" for the privilege of delivering parcels that weigh less than 1 kilogram.

It revealed its plan in an invitation to courier companies to submit their “expression of interest” to be appointed agents of the Post Office to deliver packages.

Milano

Honorary Master
At least this is a more openly dishonest approach from SAPO. Our staff are lazy and stole all your stuff so you stopped using us. Now we will continue to be lazy but just 'legally' steal our revenue. We can see the usual top down ANC mentality that made SAPO and every other state entity useless.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
At least this is a more openly dishonest approach from SAPO. Our staff are lazy and stole all your stuff so you stopped using us. Now we will continue to be lazy but just 'legally' steal our revenue. We can see the usual top down ANC mentality that made SAPO and every other state entity useless.

Its funny, but largely accurate.

Rather than trying to actually fix the fundamental problem with SAPO, they'll just try generate revenue other ways even if they're completely fscking retarded.

MaximusZA

This is utter BullSH*T, the PO is completely useless in every way.

serious question, is there anything we can do about it?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This is utter BullSH*T, the PO is completely useless in every way.

serious question, is there anything we can do about it?

No, there is nothing you can actually do about it. But you can be damned sure that the courier companies won't take this approach lying down. SAPO is already in court over their interpretation of the Postal Services Act with PostNet as far as I remember, and you can be damn sure that all the big boys will climb in if this is actually SAPO's "plan".

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Its funny, but largely accurate.

Rather than trying to actually fix the fundamental problem with SAPO, they'll just try generate revenue other ways even if they're completely fscking retarded.
Typical ANC. They have no clue how to fix anything...

grok

Honorary Master
We should only have black SAPO envelopes & packages from now on, to keep with the BEE theme..

Recurring theme of can't be successful on their own, have to make it more difficult for those that can..

Schlandower

As with all ANC owned (State Owned - since 1994 the ANC has repeatedly said they are the state!) "companies", just more extortion!
Plain and simple, watch for the next step towards a full-blown dictatorship.
Very sad when so much good could be done.