Post your grocery shortages.

konfab

Honorary Master
Is everyone suddenly taking up baking?
No.
Making bread is one of my hobbies.

I made my wife buy a 5l tub of ice-cream so I can use the tub to make ciabatta. She very much obliged...

buka001

Executive Member

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
My favourite (the book, not the movie) -

Has some interesting relevance. The virus started in China.

Other favourites -

Oh hell no. Not The Road. Definitely not The Road. Once was enough. Scarred me for life.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
We make our own pizza bases as well as pretzels. Only makes sense to bake some bread too.
How do you make the bases? We have a pizza oven and I'm very interested. Normally we just buy the best bases we can - existing attempts have homemade bases have been nowhere near worth the effort.

biena

Executive Member
Was in local PnP and following aisle were cleaned out
Oil
Maize
Pasta
Longlife milk

Got what I came for: fruit and salads.
I may have to eat my words later but for now those of you with 2 trollies piled to overflowing.... idiots the lot of you.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How do you make the bases? We have a pizza oven and I'm very interested. Normally we just buy the best bases we can - existing attempts have homemade bases have been nowhere near worth the effort.
I toss everything into the bread machine but basically...

EDIT: this is enough for three to four decent size bases.

Ingredients
  • 1 packets (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and brushing
  • 1 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spooned and levelled), plus more for work surface (1 cup bread flour, one cup cake) 300g

Directions
  • Pour ¾ cup warm water into a large bowl; sprinkle with yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
  • Whisk sugar, oil, and salt into yeast mixture. Add flour and stir until a sticky dough forms. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and brush top with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until dough has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead 1 or 2 times before using.
  • To freeze, you can wrap the dough in plastic and freeze it in a resealable freezer bag for up to 3 months. If you plan to use it in a recipe that calls for half a batch, divide it before freezing.
If you've got time and make the dough the day before you can reduce/leave out the sugar.

Cammo

Need For Weed
thank God we have a cannabis dispensary nearby in Durban

HunterNW

Honorary Master
I may have to eat my words later but for now those of you with 2 trollies piled to overflowing.... idiots the lot of you.
Philistine p0este. The lot of them. Went to a butcher yesterday - fokol boerewors. Only things in abundance was skilpadjies. And i love them.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Bacon and eggs. Nothing left in the 3 stores that I visited in the last two days.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I toss everything into the bread machine but basically...

EDIT: this is enough for three to four decent size bases.

Ingredients
  • 1 packets (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and brushing
  • 1 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spooned and levelled), plus more for work surface (1 cup bread flour, one cup cake) 300g

Directions
  • Pour ¾ cup warm water into a large bowl; sprinkle with yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
  • Whisk sugar, oil, and salt into yeast mixture. Add flour and stir until a sticky dough forms. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and brush top with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until dough has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead 1 or 2 times before using.
  • To freeze, you can wrap the dough in plastic and freeze it in a resealable freezer bag for up to 3 months. If you plan to use it in a recipe that calls for half a batch, divide it before freezing.
If you've got time and make the dough the day before you can reduce/leave out the sugar.
We have a bread machine. Will give this a try, thanks.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Post in this thread if you have done a grocery shop and haven't been able to find something that you should have found.
Wouldn't it be nice if we posted our area and our grocery over-supply as well, and we could help each each other.

Oh. This is myBB. Nevermind.