Post your grocery shortages.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We have a bread machine. Will give this a try, thanks.
Perfect. In that case what I do is make it in the morning and let it proof thoughtout the day. Then I portion it and let it rest again before going to work on it.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
All the inbreeders that never listened to a word the president said are why people are facing shortages.

LOTR

Only thing I couldn't find today = Smokes.....
Most of the popular brands sold out, but I only checked two shops, don't have time for more.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Manage to find flour yesterday 4th stop when i finally got yeast.

Whipped my sourdough starer out the fridge perfect for this situation unlimited yeast now :)
Artisanal bread to the rescue!!
How?

I have some yeast, but not much and navigating these stores is not something I want to do...

So if I can "grow" yeast even if it's sourdough I'd be happy

Quicks

Expert Member
Well hope there is some stock left when I get to the shops. Only have enough food maybe for 2 days today and tomorrow.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Buy your booze soon. Bottle stores are not considered essential suppliers...

Snyper564

Executive Member
How?

I have some yeast, but not much and navigating these stores is not something I want to do...

So if I can "grow" yeast even if it's sourdough I'd be happy
this is how bread used to be made and its amazing!

You dont need "yeast" to make this only flour. its a bit of work though to get started.

Used to bake a loaf once a week follow this:

the lasst loaf i baked

1585138118136.png

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Toilet paper.

I went to the shops in the UK today. Even with panic buying having occurred for weeks now, there is none left. Even with the grocery store supposedly putting limits on how much TP you can buy. None. Not even a single roll. Even kitchen towel was running out - guess people are getting desperate.

I just don't get it. I want to find someone who has 800 rolls at home and burn them all.

I have two rolls to last until Monday, when I get an online grocery shop delivered.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I toss everything into the bread machine but basically...

EDIT: this is enough for three to four decent size bases.

Ingredients
  • 1 packets (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and brushing
  • 1 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spooned and levelled), plus more for work surface (1 cup bread flour, one cup cake) 300g

Directions
  • Pour ¾ cup warm water into a large bowl; sprinkle with yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
  • Whisk sugar, oil, and salt into yeast mixture. Add flour and stir until a sticky dough forms. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and brush top with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until dough has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead 1 or 2 times before using.
  • To freeze, you can wrap the dough in plastic and freeze it in a resealable freezer bag for up to 3 months. If you plan to use it in a recipe that calls for half a batch, divide it before freezing.
If you've got time and make the dough the day before you can reduce/leave out the sugar.
My breadmaker has a excellent pizza base recipe. I have yet to find better. But I'll try this one too. thanks

Urist

Expert Member
Wanted to buy steak, but there were to many fcknuts doing emercency stockpiling, I'll buy some steak from the abatoir on friday when everyone is hunkered down under their beds.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Bread and bread yeast. Will just sub with beer yeast for the first few loaves. I have some around the house, at least :D

Reactions: Yuu

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
People are saying that South African bottle shops will be closed - luckily the UK has no such problem. Grocery stores sell booze, even spirits.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
People are saying that South African bottle shops will be closed - luckily the UK has no such problem. Grocery stores sell booze, even spirits.
Our supermarkets sell wine, and that's been blocked off from access.

saor

Honorary Master
Tesco / Asda no-name brand vodka = bad memories.
How long you been in UK for?