Post your grocery shortages.

maumau

Honorary Master
That's correct.

Jik and water. If it is non essential. Leave it for 3 days depending on the packaging.

What I have been doing for he last two weeks.
Packages. Groceries. Anything from outside.

1. Everything goes to Scullery.
2. Wash my hands.
3. Clean everything with jik water.
4. Put the disinfected stuff on the disinfected cupboard.
5. Once done clean the scullery.

Obviously pay attention to how you clean it and plastic bags etc.
Bleach would be the thing.
Thank you.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
How?

I have some yeast, but not much and navigating these stores is not something I want to do...

So if I can "grow" yeast even if it's sourdough I'd be happy
Tonight's pizza dough is proofing in the fridge so it's nap time. :)
My gran had an amazing overnight fridge roll recipe. She's dead now, will see if someone in the family still has that recipe. Would be good if you posted yours.

The Fresh Loaf is a fantastic resource for all things bread including beer and pizzas):

Stella Culinary has an excellent set of tutorials and recipes for sour-dough bread (I started here originally):

For "artisan" non sour-dough bread which uses a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, you won't get better than Jim Layhey's no knead recipe. Man is a legend:

Pizza:

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
Am a bit of a dough nut.

Making dough by hand is way better than a bread machine.

Have had three machines over the years, now I only make by hand. Sour-dough primarily, but I still go back to Jim Lahey's recipe every now and again, it is an excellent recipe.

Also make my own spaghetti, not often, but it is better than store bought.

Use good flour. It's expensive, but healthier for you and the environment. I mostly use Eureka.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Made our own hotdog buns today. Technique needs some work but taste and texture were 10/10.

View attachment 808185

Tonight's pizza dough is proofing in the fridge so it's nap time. :)
Shops have hot dog buns, had to pop out :( only thing we were missing was flour. Got it now there are wackadoos walking around with medical caps as masks.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Making a batch of sourdough pizza bases mmm, flour is going to be on the list when I pop out for the first time, have about 8kg left, 2kg rye and 1kg whole wheat

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Shops have hot dog buns, had to pop out :( only thing we were missing was flour. Got it now there are wackadoos walking around with medical caps as masks.
TBH I don't know what breads our local spar has. Probably has a supply of hotdog rolls but I've got plenty of flour so figured I'd give it a bash. :)

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yet to do my groceries. I delayed, hoping things will get better. I'll try again next week. At most, we have a week's supply of decent meals. After that, it's rice/pap and whatever tastes like food. The small garden can supply 2 days of vegetables.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Riverside Market in Krugersdorp has great veg and fruit.
Ordered this morning, paid the invoice, delivered this afternoon.
Damn good quality and bloody cheap too !!

Randhir

Honorary Master
For "artisan" non sour-dough bread which uses a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, you won't get better than Jim Layhey's no knead recipe. Man is a legend:
Thanks for this :)

First bread I've baked (and first thing I've baked in about 25 years). Will update on taste.

Attachments

janplank

I heard some horror stories of people getting sick if you get it wrong and end up with the wrong bacteria... Is that scaremongering?
I kept my yeast plant alive and well baking many breads and pizzas for about 5 years now and never had any issues.