Post your most profound thoughts of the day

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Mulling over the way members of this forum who appear to be better educated) debate any topic. And how quickly anyone who might have a different view is attacked just because his views are not aligned with the views of the sheeple.

Last edited:

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
View attachment 824797
David Hawkins - Letting Go
This is what I need to learn. Currently we are the result of our feelings. Feelings we have no control over. Emotions are the puppeteer, we are the puppet. The brain is merely the observer. The mind gets broken frequently and cannot be counted on.

saor

Honorary Master
This is what I need to learn. Currently we are the result of our feelings. Feelings we have no control over. Emotions are the puppeteer, we are the puppet. The brain is merely the observer. The mind gets broken frequently and cannot be counted on.
Yeah, like the last hour I've felt worn out & worried by various thoughts but when I pause and look closer there's really just a single underlying kind of feeling somewhere near my belly. I can wonder if maybe it's loneliness or uncertainty but...I'm finding it helps to stop guessing and to just notice it and sit with it.

And I can be amazed over and over and over at how many scenarios my mind conjures that seem to feed off that single feeling - I'm worried about something I said to someone or how I responded and on an on and ruminate some more but....none of those things are meaningful things to worry about - they're just stemming from this underlying feeling; phantoms with no basis in reality. And so I sit with the feeling again. And then am lost in thought again. And sit.

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
Feels sometimes like thoughts are the broad road to destruction whereas the facing the feeling is the road seldom walked & which I constantly have to remind myself of.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Yeah, like the last hour I've felt worn out & worried by various thoughts but when I pause and look closer there's really just a single underlying kind of feeling somewhere near my belly. I can wonder if maybe it's loneliness or uncertainty but...I'm finding it helps to stop guessing and to just notice it and sit with it.

And I can be amazed over and over and over at how many scenarios my mind conjures that seem to feed off that single feeling - I'm worried about something I said to someone or how I responded and on an on and ruminate some more but....none of those things are meaningful things to worry about - they're just stemming from this underlying feeling; phantoms with no basis in reality. And so I sit with the feeling again. And then am lost in thought again. And sit.

Feels sometimes like thoughts are the broad road to destruction whereas the facing the feeling is the road seldom walked & which I constantly have to remind myself of.
I know that feeling. But I do not sit and think about the feelings - I dig a hole and bury them. Push them down and bottle them. You can imagine what eventually happens.

I do think - but not about them. And I disagree with you on the narrow gate and road thing. I think thoughts are a true reflection of who we are (with influences of course). But the gate - that is nothing to do with us. Society put those gates up. They decided where - the size and how accessible they are. They also built the roads. Any natural roads are just where everyone else has been - and we are merely trudging along after them. The road decides where we are going.

maumau

Honorary Master
@saor @TribbleZA

“Life is a train of moods like a string of beads; and as we pass through them they prove to be many colored lenses, which paint the world their own hue, and each shows us only what lies in its own focus.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

saor

Honorary Master
egg.png

We often understand pain to be how creatures are motivated toward action without the need for brains that deliberate. An unpleasant emotional feeling does for self & social what ouchy! pain does for the physical: They regulate behavior by inducing feelings we respond to.

(And maybe there's s some glimmer of self-awareness required to make pain and emotions effective. The unpleasantness of pain must surely have some awareness to which to present itself. What separates us from mosquitoes then, is maybe the shape of awareness.)

We move from the automaticity of reflexive actions in simple organisms through to deliberate behaviors of some animals & especially humans. And while painful feelings had their past purpose of driving behavior, it's also possible to step back and see that entire modulation of behavior as though it weren't just concerned with the moment, but also had a longer game in play...something it was hatching. Like an egg which surrounds us and has developed us to a certain level of maturation but now requires that we crack it & step beyond.

To step beyond our automaticity & reflexive responses.
To learn to choose.

TribbleZA

Honorary Master

We often understand pain to be how creatures are motivated toward action without the need for brains that deliberate. An unpleasant emotional feeling does for self & social what ouchy! pain does for the physical: They regulate behavior by inducing feelings we respond to.

(And maybe there's s some glimmer of self-awareness required to make pain and emotions effective. The unpleasantness of pain must surely have some awareness to which to present itself. What separates us from mosquitoes then, is maybe the shape of awareness.)

We move from the automaticity of reflexive actions in simple organisms through to deliberate behaviors of some animals & especially humans. And while painful feelings had their past purpose of driving behavior, it's also possible to step back and see that entire modulation of behavior as though it weren't just concerned with the moment, but also had a longer game in play...something it was hatching. Like an egg which surrounds us and has developed us to a certain level of maturation but now requires that we crack it & step beyond.

To step beyond our automaticity & reflexive responses.
To learn to choose.
If you are averse to pain. And you know that doing a particular thing will cause pain. Is it really a choice not do to that thing ? Does your fear of the pain actually determine that you will not act - rather than a conscious decision you made ? Even if you think of it - could you actually make any other decision ?

saor

Honorary Master
If you are averse to pain. And you know that doing a particular thing will cause pain.
I mean the uncomfortable feelings that sometimes reside within us. My response to them is almost always a cacophony of pointless thoughts that trap me in falsehoods and that's where the choice lies: To respond differently to that feeling. I'd rather just have the feeling than the feeling + the bullshit thoughts that come with it. So yes - I believe we can choose how to respond to feelings, or at least be on the path toward improving our response.

dabean

Expert Member
I mean the uncomfortable feelings that sometimes reside within us. My response to them is almost always a cacophony of pointless thoughts that trap me in falsehoods and that's where the choice lies: To respond differently to that feeling. I'd rather just have the feeling than the feeling + the bullshit thoughts that come with it. So yes - I believe we can choose how to respond to feelings, or at least be on the path toward improving our response.
I like to think of it as being the one that's breathing. Fighting or trying to avoid emotions just makes you clench up if you're lost in thought. Focus your attention on your body and consciously try to relax your muscles. The goal is to break the positive feedback loop.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Just heard a brilliant thing

"A Man's reach should Exceed his grasp, or whats a heaven for?"

saor

Honorary Master
Human communication is an alive, ever-changing creation - it is created, re-created, and cocreated in each moment. And creation requires patience: the ability to tolerate emptiness.
-Susan Campbell

JurgensBeMe

Significant Other:

This is when you meat a woman for the first time, things are going well. she is a slut of epic proportions but still conducts herself in a caste manner when outside the bedroom.

Significant Udder:

This is when things start going sour. You realise what your father meant when he said women grow old like milk. She throws half a packet of cayenne pepper in the food and then ask you how it tasted. You say terrible and then she does not speak to you for two weeks. She becomes your significant Udder.

Significant Adder:

This is when you realise just how crazy she is. after spending a few nights in Unitas ER trying desperately to dodge the questions about how the fork got lodged in your thigh, you start reconsidering the relationship. She becomes your Significant Adder

saor

Honorary Master
...she didn’t start “thinking for herself”— she started thinking with different people. To think independently of other human beings is impossible, and if it were possible it would be undesirable. Thinking is necessarily, thoroughly, and wonderfully social. Everything you think is a response to what someone else has thought and said. And when people commend someone for “thinking for herself” they usually mean “ceasing to sound like people I dislike and starting to sound more like people I approve of.”
-Alan Jabobs