Post your Pictures from the Previous Century

Crimson & Blue

Honorary Master
First day of school, 1982. Mom was not very good at cutting hair.
View attachment 1311986
Cool chorts! At least you didn't have to wear those leather sandals we had in Primary School in the 70s (Sub A + Sub B)
You also had an epic satchel... that looks like leather! Check the breeker with one strap over the shoulder hehehe.
We had those little brown suitcases

1652967726362.png

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
You want a pic of my mother's uterus? That's the best I can do for late 80's

Grouter

Executive Member
Cape Town Harbour, 1983. We came to buy 3 Steam Tugs from SA Railways & Harbours.
This is one of them, the day we arrived - The RA Leigh.

Scan10152.JPG

Same spot today, bottom right, the V & A Hotel:
victoria-alfred-hotel.jpg

garyc

Expert Member
Started getting into photography and darkroom work at school during the early 70s. Sometimes the newspapers would ask me to take some photos for them - a lot of the material was generated by amateurs. One request was to take a class photo of the sixth form at St John's College. This was regarded as a prestigious class and therefore of interest to the public. They made sure to dress properly for their photo.

img309_small.jpg

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Best I can do.

Karnak temple.
25ec5e6af8cb886a4cd595da3efa9af8.jpg

Crimson & Blue

Honorary Master
Yup. Never been one for photo albums or anything. So I just looked on Google photos.

Might have some older stuff stashed away on my PC but I'm not using it at the moment.
Ah... any hard copies you can scan? I have very little as well. I had a ton once upon a time but never curated them properly. Nice pic btw.

Grouter

Executive Member
Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret on Sedgefield beach 1947.

In February 1947 the British Royal family toured South Africa and paid George a visit en route between Cape
Town and Johannesburg. The journey was by rail and they were passengers on the famous “White Train” (One of the coaches can be visited at the George Railway Museum).
The town’s folk were still divided into two political camps of Boer and Brit and the town council on which J R Urban served were concerned for the safety and security of the British King and Queen as well as for the young Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. The ‘rebel’ organization, the Ossewa Brandwag had threatened an attack and the coach at the station seemed a vulnerable target. At an urgent council meeting JRU had a brilliant idea, “Why not,” he suggested, “shunt the coach into my sawmill with its special siding and platform where we load our timber?” The plan was carried out and it was JRU himself who locked the huge gates to the timber yard across the train tracks where the royal family and their attendants were to sleep that night!
I was only three, but clearly remembers my father Fred putting me on his shoulders at the station to get a better view of the princesses.

Source: Mel Walton's Oupa's Times / Facebook

1653298154316.png