PostNet, Post Office in legal showdown over packages weighing a kilogram or less

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Postnet has approached the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, to obtain an urgent order to put a ruling on hold which would have prohibited the franchise from couriering any package weighing 1kg or less from March 17.
In November, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) informed PostNet that come Tuesday next week it may no longer courier reserved postal services as it did not have a licence to do so.

Icasa acted on a recommendation by the Complaints and Compliance Committee following a complaint lodged by the South African Post Office about PostNet also offering reserved postal services to the public.

The Post Office said it was the only entity licensed in terms of the Postal Services Act to courier packages weighing a kilogram or less.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news...packages-weighing-a-kilogram-or-less-44484068

OCP

Expert Member
"The Post Office said it was the only entity licensed"

PostNet has never lost a parcel - it ALWAYS delivers on time; no fuss or problems.
(+ the staff us super friendly and service is quick - walk in /out in 3min or less)

I'm still waiting for several parcels that have arrived in the country but are nowhere to be found within the SAPO cluster**** + when they do arrive months late, you have to wait in long queues to deal with people who only just barely seem to be alive and have ZERO people skills.
Add to the fact that PostNet is close by and both my SAPO branches close to work/home have closed, so now i need to drive to much further + they have no parking.

Just like everything else, the ANC can't help **** with a working system and force us to spend more for less.

**** you SAPO and **** you ANC.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
"The Post Office said it was the only entity licensed"

PostNet has never lost a parcel - it ALWAYS delivers on time; no fuss or problems.
(+ the staff us super friendly and service is quick - walk in /out in 3min or less)

I'm still waiting for several parcels that have arrived in the country but are nowhere to be found within the SAPO cluster**** + when they do arrive months late, you have to wait in long queues to deal with people who only just barely seem to be alive and have ZERO people skills.
Add to the fact that PostNet is close by and both my SAPO branches close to work/home have closed, so now i need to drive to much further + they have no parking.

Just like everything else, the ANC can't help **** with a working system and force us to spend more for less.

**** you SAPO and **** you ANC.
In fact, the post offices license should likely be revoked for non compliance to license conditions.

OCP

Expert Member
From the same article: https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/opinion/letter-why-i-wont-use-the-post-office-again-40561401

LETTER: Why I won't use the post office again
By Mike Law
Time of article published
Jan 14, 2020

OPINION - I purchased from a second-hand bookshop a book about the South African Air Force. I have a relation living in the UK who used to be in the Air Force and I thought he would enjoy it.
So after some advanced packing (we all know how the post office staff treat parcels), it’s off to the post office. As usual there were three staff but only one doing any work. The book was weighed in at 1.1kg. Okay, how much? R280.
Wow! How long will it take to get to the UK? Weeks.
Fast-forward to the next day. I acted on the advice of my wife, who said: “Why don’t you try having the item sent by one of the local couriers?”
So off I went to PostNet. The cost was exactly half the post office charge and it will arrive early next week. Why oh why have I been wasting time and money sending things (and losing things) via the South African Post Office?

We have to wonder how a service that for years and years provided us with a reliable and safe method of communication has been rendered redundant.
I recently received a letter from Europe that took 149 days to arrive - three days from Europe to Johannesburg, and 146 days from Johannesburg to Cape Town.
We often say who on Earth is running things? When referring to the post office, there’s no need for a reply - (ex-chief executive Mark) Barnes is gone, his office is empty.

Mike Law Clovelly
Daily News

konfab

Honorary Master
They need to turn this into a class action lawsuit and get Takealot, Pargo, Pick and Pay etc involved.

@Cius
You love regulations right?
Tell me why the government needs to make it illegal for one person to put a box weighing less than 1kg in their car and take it to another person for money?

Cius

Executive Member
They need to turn this into a class action lawsuit and get Takealot, Pargo, Pick and Pay etc involved.

@Cius
You love regulations right?
Tell me why the government needs to make it illegal for one person to put a box weighing less than 1kg in their car and take it to another person for money?
I don't love regulation, I generally despise it, but this is a joke. The Post office is trying to limit competition and they should go fly a kite. Hope the courts nail them.

konfab

Honorary Master
I don't love regulation, I generally despise it, but this is a joke. The Post office is trying to limit competition and they should go fly a kite. Hope the courts nail them.
No but Post Net are an evil monopoly according to the government. They should be broken up and given over to the state to run as the Governement is much better as decisions are made democratically.

Ponderer

Expert Member
No but Post Net are an evil monopoly according to the government. They should be broken up and given over to the state to run as the Governement is much better as decisions are made democratically.
ANC smells money, and want to "expropriate" it.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Is the PO still the only option for boxes weighing about 17kg full of heroine or the like via surface mail?

Just kidding, it's books, but is there anyone else who does surface mail as airmail would just be crazy expensive.

Bernie

Expert Member
I don't understand, what about all these courier companies that courier documents all over, courier small electronics, photos, everything. From March 17 will they all be breaking the law. I can't remember when I last used SAPO.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I hope Postnet wins this case with costs. SAPO need to be taken down a notch or two, and closed down.

Reactions: XTM

Supervan II

F. U. says PostNet & every other courier.

Add to that: anyone who expects that the service they paid for is rendered as agreed upon, within a reasonable timeframe.

xeslaro

Executive Member
I don't understand, what about all these courier companies that courier documents all over, courier small electronics, photos, everything. From March 17 will they all be breaking the law. I can't remember when I last used SAPO.
I suspect the reason SAPO are targeting postnet specifically, and not the others, is because postnet provide a postal address. SAPO enjoy a monopoly on reserved postal category [sub 1KG] to a postal address. Whereas, courier companies such as DHL etc, parcels are addressed and delivered to a person directly.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I suspect the reason SAPO are targeting postnet specifically, and not the others, is because postnet provide a postal address. SAPO enjoy a monopoly on reserved postal category [sub 1KG] to a postal address. Whereas, courier companies such as DHL etc, parcels are addressed and delivered to a person directly.
Aw shamepies, my heart pumps cuddly custard for SAPO....

Maybe if they did deliver a "world-class service" then things would be different...