PostNet, Post Office in legal showdown over packages weighing a kilogram or less

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I suspect the reason SAPO are targeting postnet specifically, and not the others, is because postnet provide a postal address. SAPO enjoy a monopoly on reserved postal category [sub 1KG] to a postal address. Whereas, courier companies such as DHL etc, parcels are addressed and delivered to a person directly.
If it's true that the PO just let it slide since 2002, there is a legal principle of allowing something to happen for so long that it is implied consent (or something like that).

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I suspect the reason SAPO are targeting postnet specifically, and not the others, is because postnet provide a postal address. SAPO enjoy a monopoly on reserved postal category [sub 1KG] to a postal address. Whereas, courier companies such as DHL etc, parcels are addressed and delivered to a person directly.
It is largely this. Postnet are in direct competition to the Post Office, and there is zero possibility of the Post Office actually competing with them, because Postnet provides a service that is reliable and safe... so the only way for the Post Office to "win" is to try and legally shut them down.

Problems do arise for the PO in terms of license conditions though, they are failing to meet the basic standards required of them.

Last edited:

xeslaro

Executive Member
Aw shamepies, my heart pumps cuddly custard for SAPO....

Maybe if they did deliver a "world-class service" then things would be different...
Agree. A monopoly fosters a lackadaisical attitude. Hence the proliferation of courier companies, at SAPOs expense.

Grant

Honorary Master
post office may as well fukkoff and die.

although i dont use postnet, i know where the 2 closest to me are located.
post office in my area moved - no idea where to, and i wont be going looking either

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Only thing I use SAPO for is vehicle licence renewals and a mailbox (free).

Supervan II

Not quite:

Any parcel up to 1 kg, to any address and all letters/postcards/documents/brochures, etc (in fact ALL forms of written communication) has been regulated in the Postal Services Act of 1998.

This also includes any documentation being sent via courier currently.

dj2381

Expert Member
What would stop postnet from just ignoring them and carrying on as usual, who's gonna come check all their parcels?

xeslaro

Executive Member
Not quite:

Any parcel up to 1 kg, to any address and all letters/postcards/documents/brochures, etc (in fact ALL forms of written communication) has been regulated in the Postal Services Act of 1998.

This also includes any documentation being sent via courier currently.
The ambiguity and interpretation of that clause has been debated for decades and still ongoing. Besides, it's not in line with international norms.

In Postnet case, they fall foul by providing postal addresses and thus easier to make a case against them, hence the reason, my opinion, that SAPO are gunning them and not all couriers.

Supervan II

The ambiguity and interpretation of that clause has been debated for decades and still ongoing. Besides, it's not in line with international norms.

In Postnet case, they fall foul by providing postal addresses and thus easier to make a case against them, hence the reason, my opinion, that SAPO are gunning them and not all couriers.
Sorry, never used Postnet. Please elaborate on the bold part?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Sorry, never used Postnet. Please elaborate on the bold part?
Postnet offer you a postal address if you don't have one, or want an extra one. Post, parcels etc can be delivered to a postnet where you have a post box, and you can collect it there instead of SAPO.

This service was offered by the SAPO long time since.

konfab

Honorary Master

I have a postal address. It is the little box on the front of my complex.