Postnet wants to close my account because I complained...

Over the last 12 months I have had several parcels stolen from Postnet/Broadacres and service has been more than shocking when it comes to international postal deliveries (I nowadays ship via courier).

I had another case this weekend and sent a complaint to their branch which now wants to cancel my box because I complain too much:
"...In terms of our rental agreement with XXX we hereby give notice that we will be invoking clause 2.15 with effect the annual renewal date of 31st January 2011. The box will be locked from that date and post forwarded for a period of 30 days (upon receipt of a new postal address by us forwarded by the boxholder)."

This gets my blood boiling as one would think that if a customer has an issue, the company concerned would try to improve. I don't believe that the local branch should get away with this - any suggestions with regards to this?

2.15 This agreement may be terminated by either party by giving notice in writing to the other party, and in the case of the Client terminating, no refund of rental fees for the unexpired period shall be made.
This was my email to them:
Incidently, and following up on all the parcels going missing, I noticed today a 2nd parcel notification (dated 18/08). I have not received a first notification and would really like to understand how PostNet tracks parcels and if anything has changed since May. Back then the Broadacres branch did not carry manifests/lists of what parcel notifications they received when and when those where placed in the post boxes.

In today's case it makes me wonder where the 1st parcel notification has disappeared - this is pretty much in line with all the other theft - either no parcel notification or notifications received so late that the items had been returned.

We will try and pick this parcel up at Bryanston Postoffice, but if it has "disappeared", will now open another case at the Police Station - unfortunately your absolute silence and disregard for any of those complaints is almost a silent admission of guilt.
BTW: My complaint from May was when I visited the branch with my 11 year old son to investigate the disappearance of all those parcels (and why we only get 2nd and final parcel notifications and never ever a 1st one) and their branch manager openly said:
Postnet branch-manager: ... to be honest, it is in the blacks nature to steal what is not theirs
- this resulted in me sending a formal complaint to Postnet HQ (who also has not responded to any of this).

Although it will be good riddance, for one this is about the principle/business ethics and I don't feel anyone should get away with such conduct and for another it will take a lot of time and effort notifying all those companies about a postal change.

In short, I couldn't care less if a utility- or bank-statement goes missing, but why should a franchise terminate your rental agreement just because you complain about poor service?

Last edited:

Billy

Expert Member
Never had a problem with my Post Office Box. (Except when the "White Nationalists" blew up the post office)

Why not get a post office box?

psichron

In short, I could care less if a utility- or bank-statement goes missing, but why should a franchise terminate your rental agreement just because you complain about poor service?
It's "COULDN'T care less".
If you "could care less" it means you're caring at least a little bit and that it is possible for you to care less. If you "couldn't care less" it means you don't care about it at all.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
It's "COULDN'T care less".
If you "could care less" it means you're caring at least a little bit and that it is possible for you to care less. If you "couldn't care less" it means you don't care about it at all.
THANK YOU!!! AT LAST!

Dean

Expert Member
Classic... nothing wrong with a company telling their customers that they don't want to do business with them. Most customers don't realise this with the whole "customers always right" attitude - more often than not (telecoms multi-nationals and state-owned enterprises aside) they are the ones who have some deluded expectations.

That said, if all this about the thefts are true, I don't see any reason why you'd want to deal with them in future anyway...

Classic... nothing wrong with a company telling their customers that they don't want to do business with them. Most customers don't realise this with the whole "customers always right" attitude - more often than not (telecoms multi-nationals and state-owned enterprises aside) they are the ones who have some deluded expectations.

That said, if all this about the thefts are true, I don't see any reason why you'd want to deal with them in future anyway...
It will come as a rude awakening for companies like this when the Consumer Protection Act comes into legislation (hopefully later this year). Many retailers and service providers will truly suffer if they don't change their attitude. The CPA will empower the consumer and finally give legal backing to consumer rights in this country.

zulgin

Expert Member
It will come as a rude awakening for companies like this when the Consumer Protection Act comes into legislation (hopefully later this year). Many retailers and service providers will truly suffer if they don't change their attitude. The CPA will empower the consumer and finally give legal backing to consumer rights in this country.
consumer act or no consumer act, as ek sê dat jy uit my winkel moet f0koff, then you and the act can go to whatever and where ever you want to. :)

Dolby

Honorary Master
I guess all you can do is make a big stink? Hellopeter and various newspapers? Perhaps the Broadacres local?

I had an incident where someone took R400 and wouldn't give it back. I decided to write off the money BUT take him and his company 'down' in the process.

* He gave back the money, do I didn't need to in the end

Dean

Expert Member
Completely agree for the need for the CPA - after all, I'm also a consumer myself - we all are... even the people running those companies/branches you're talking about.
I'm not arguing consumer rights - dropping him as a customer (or any company doing the same for that matter) has nothing to do with consumer rights.
That's pretty much what I'm trying to say - consumers often believe it's their right to do business with any company and no matter what, that company should do business with them. Not so...

D3x

Expert Member
Put that on your blog M_D. Try the Fourways Review as well.

P.S. I would be happy that they canceled my Box cos the service there is so ***!

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I also cancel the services of some clients. Its very rare, but if someone sends me an email full of swearing, is very rude or aggressive then I cancel their services with us. I kinda believe that if you cant be civil then my company is not the place for you to do business.