Pothole Damage- Claiming from Municipality

Calkem

Okay so, as one can expect from the past rains our roads in SA are totally pothole ridden. For the first time in 14 years I underestimated the road an fell into a pothole at some speed an had my rear tyre damaged, and ofcourse it was sidewall damage, so the whole tyre had to be replaced. The road I was travelling is/was a really clean road and the I swear the pothole just came up overnight.

So I now I am out R4700 and out of interest, how many many of you have being able to claim from the municipality the damages, I would guess claiming from a rural municipality would take years.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
What a coincidence, just fkd a tyre myself tonight because of a pothole. Also sidewall damage so I'm gonna have to get new one tomorrow. :mad:

Potholes + Rain + Not switching on streetlights = $$$ :mad::mad::mad:

I personally won't be wasting my time trying to claim.

S.Claus

2 Rims in 3 years and it's honestly not worth the hassle (just claim from your insurance company)

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
About 8 years ago I hit two potholes evenly spaced (had been raining and the whole were full of water and so did not see them). I tried claiming from the municipality and filled out their forms and waited, kept on constantly phoning them with nothing but excuses being made. this went on for about a year and after being passed from pillar to post, I gave up.

I can just imagine they are even worse than that now.

I think the only way you would have any luck is if you got a lawyer involved and then you would probably be told that there was no need for a lawyer because they have processes.

They just full of ****.

Calkem

What a coincidence, just fkd a tyre myself tonight because of a pothole. Also sidewall damage so I'm gonna have to get new one tomorrow. :mad:

Potholes + Rain + Not switching on streetlights = $$$ :mad::mad::mad:

I personally won't be wasting my time trying to claim.
Was night driving with me as well. Had a perfect driving record, never damaged a tyre ever. Guess, im lucky I didnt crack the rim.

Things are so bad, my next vehicle is going to have continuous track, something like a tank

Calkem

About 8 years ago I hit two potholes evenly spaced (had been raining and the whole were full of water and so did not see them). I tried claiming from the municipality and filled out their forms and waited, kept on constantly phoning them with nothing but excuses being made. this went on for about a year and after being passed from pillar to post, I gave up.

I can just imagine they are even worse than that now.

I think the only way you would have any luck is if you got a lawyer involved and then you would probably be told that there was no need for a lawyer because they have processes.

They just full of ****.
Geez man, thats exactly what I dont want to experience, I would like my heart to last me a extra couple of years. What municiality was this?

Getting a lawyer might be a bit of over-kill for me, but if I was bitter person I would consider this route

Knyro

PhD in Everything
Was night driving with me as well. Had a perfect driving record, never damaged a tyre ever. Guess, im lucky I didnt crack the rim.

Things are so bad, my next vehicle is going to have continuous track, something like a tank
Second time ever getting a flat for me. Last time was 3 years ago and it was also because of a pothole at night filled with water. FFS I hate those, damn near impossible to see.

If these bastards took care of the roads I wouldn't even know what it's like to get a flat tyre.

chrisc

Executive Member
It took City of Cape Town 8 months to decline my claim. No reasons given. It cost R1200

Quicks

Feel like I aim for potholes these days, had to replace two tires and two rimes. I think one of my shocks got damaged as well. SA is hazardous to a persons life in general if its not taxis cutting and driving like A-Holes you get pot holes and other A-holes just stopping and parking whenever wherever they feel like it...

Forgot my steering column is loose damage as well, repair cost for all and all is estimated at R15000

Calkem

Feel like I aim for potholes these days, had to replace two tires and two rimes. I think one of my shocks got damaged as well. SA is hazardous to a persons life in general if its not taxis cutting and driving like A-Holes you get pot holes and other A-holes just stopping and parking whenever wherever they feel like it...

Forgot my steering column is loose damage as well, repair cost for all and all is estimated at R15000
Im suprised you didnt get any brain damage, that must have been a crater.

Grant

Honorary Master
You have to prove negligence which will be near impossible if the pothole was caused by rain