Power inverter charger connection

taonga

Was at China mall and saw this inverter and decided I should give it a try. It says it a charger also but I’m now wondering how it will charge the battery.

I’ll connect the battery to the red and black connection and my tv to the ac-out port.

Do I then have to unplug the tv and plug the house power to the ac-out to charge the battery?Image1553165494.204553.jpgImage1553165521.875319.jpgImage1553165546.309046.jpg

taonga

Must have been misled by the sales guy that said it also charges the battery

Image1553174402.776149.jpg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So what does the manual say? How do they suggest it gets wired up? In the minumum, you need a suitable 12V battery for that thing to work at all as an inveter. from DC to AC.

Otherwise it will be just a fancy doorstop.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Lots, provided you have a decent battery suitable for the device, and a charger that can charge the battery.
What does the manual say?

taonga

Where can i get cheaper, I'm planning to get a bigger one if i get this to work.

thechamp

Honorary Master
If it does not have an AC in connection it does not have a charger.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Where can i get cheaper, I'm planning to get a bigger one if i get this to work.
You just spent R700 on a cheaper inverter, do yourself a favour and get a decent battery thus time, a basic deep cycle will st you vack between R2k and R3k. Go to Makro or Builders warehouse.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Was at China mall and saw this inverter and decided I should give it a try. It says it a charger also but I’m now wondering how it will charge the battery.

I’ll connect the battery to the red and black connection and my tv to the ac-out port.

Do I then have to unplug the tv and plug the house power to the ac-out to charge the battery?View attachment 635970View attachment 635972View attachment 635974
I see it is a direct rip-off, of the SAMLEX inverters, which are very good actually.

As others have said this won't charge your battery. The salesman is either a liar or uninformed.

It's a 12V so get two batteries in parallel attached to it so that you do not discharge them too deeply or past 50%. How long are shedding hours in your area?

Also buy a 10A charger so that your batteries charger quicker during load shedding cycles. I am replacing my charger with a 36A one early next week.

Something like this:

20190323_102238.jpg

taonga

I see it is a direct rip-off, of the SAMLEX inverters, which are very good actually.

As others have said this won't charge your battery. The salesman is either a liar or uninformed.

It's a 12V so get two batteries in parallel attached to it so that you do not discharge them too deeply or past 50%. How long are shedding hours in your area?

Also buy a 10A charger so that your batteries charger quicker during load shedding cycles. I am replacing my charger with a 36A one early next week.

Something like this:

View attachment 636724
I’ll be getting a charger this weekend, any recommendations on which one and where to get a cheaper one. I would prefer one that I don’t have to manually connect whenever the battery needs to recharged.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I’ll be getting a charger this weekend, any recommendations on which one and where to get a cheaper one. I would prefer one that I don’t have to manually connect whenever the battery needs to recharged.
If you buy a proper charger, you just leave it connected to your battery permanently, normally via the two crocodile clamps.

When the power goes off, it stops charging and when the power comes back on, it starts again.

There will be one or two manuall processes involved when you use an inverter with batteries.

Of which turning the inverter on and off, between usage, is my only one really. Don't draw power and charge at the same time.

Good chargers are not cheap. Ctek is good but have become very expensive.

Noco Genius make really good stuff, but a proper charger will cost anything between R3k and R6k.

But you must invest in a proper charger otherwise you will be buying a battery every 6 months with the type of loadshedding we have now.