Powerball and Lotto

SAguy

Expert Member
@Jings told me the numbers will be 12345 6
Hardly anyone would ever think of playing those numbers, but reality is that it's just as possible as any other number combination.

Makes you realise just how low the odds of a specific number combination is.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
No duplicate Combinations are calculated with n! / (r! * (n-r)! Where n will be 49 and r hw many you select,which is 6 for the normal lotto. This gives you a1 out of 13 983 816.

For powerball, n = 49 and r = 5, but the result is multiplied with 20 for the powerball, giving an answer of 1 out of 38 137 680

Disclaimer. Haven’t done this in years. Could be wrong.
Your methodology is right but your numbers are wrong.

For powerball n = 50 not 49 which is what gets you to the 42ish million.

For normal lotto n = 52 not 49 anymore which gives you a 1 in 20ish million chance of winning.

Also n! / (r! (n-r)!) with n = 50 and r = 5 does in fact simplify to 50/5 * 49/4 * 48/3 * 47/2 * 46/1 as per samrai.jck's post.

creeper

Expert Member
Your methodology is right but your numbers are wrong.

For powerball n = 50 not 49 which is what gets you to the 42ish million.

For normal lotto n = 52 not 49 anymore which gives you a 1 in 20ish million chance of winning.

Also n! / (r! (n-r)!) with n = 50 and r = 5 does in fact simplify to 50/5 * 49/4 * 48/3 * 47/2 * 46/1 as per samrai.jck's post.
I get half the points for using the right equation :)

It also confirms that I haven’t played the lotto in a long time. When did it change?

Steamy Tom

I did a quick calculation. If you put that amount in a money market account at 6% per annum, you should get approx R825 000 interest. Per month.

Paying tax at 45%, should still give you R453 750 per month
you sir should cease doing any maths going forward, that or give us the name of your financial advisor/institution who gives you those returns.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
you sir should cease doing any maths going forward, that or give us the name of your financial advisor/institution who gives you those returns.
You're the one that should cease telling others they cannot do maths. And 6% isn't even the best fixed income fund one can get out there.

FlashSA

Executive Member
The extremely minute chances of winning is why I only play 2 lines with plus (R15) for Powerball and 2 lines both pluses (R20) for Lotto twice weekly.

Do you guys check your numbers or just hand your ticket in and let the machine check it? I just hand in and let the machine check when buying my next ticket - never even read the ticket. Goes machine, into wallet, back into machine after draw.

The extremely minute chances of winning is why I only play 2 lines with plus (R15) for Powerball and 2 lines both pluses (R20) for Lotto twice weekly.

Do you guys check your numbers or just hand your ticket in and let the machine check it? I just hand in and let the machine check when buying my next ticket - never even read the ticket. Goes machine, into wallet, back into machine after draw.
I play online so I get an sms if I've won anything.