Powering B618 during these &*#!! cuts

MirageF1

Executive Member
Hi not really looking at forking out 5k+ on inverter solution for a few common household devices(kettle, TV, etc) at this stage, can someone recommend a economical alternative , i.e power bank, battery, etc

It would need to be able to supply 2aH for say 4 hours.
The router draws 24W according to spec sheet.

As an aside:
I have a 10,000mah Rosmoss power bank which comes in handy to recharge my phone..

Where can I purchase a suitable step up cable without making my own to power my router directly from the power bank?

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Yes. Many solutions posted in the Eskom section as well as thoroughly discussed.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Thanks, but as I already have a 10,000mah ( it can supply 2000mah) I just need a suitable usb 5v 12v DC cable.

Last edited:

phly

Expert Member
Theres's those small huawei batteries but those are only good for about 3hrs. I have one and works a charm as I am able to continue working on the web without skipping a beat even after loadshedding hits - Like it did today. Just know that you are looking at around 3hrs and not 4. Should there be another option or alternative I am all ears.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Check this thread.

MirageF1

Executive Member

Jake45

Expert Member
Something like this might work. These devices can usually only supply ~1A @9V from a 2.1A powerbank port. Most 5V powerbanks can only supply a maximum of 10W.

I am using one of the Huawei battery packs that I bought from oceanmasterza a few months ago. They output 7.4V @ 2A.

phly

Expert Member
Not with Rain when I bought it last year, but thanks.

I think I'll just try to source a compatible cable for my power bank to router( I mentioned I already have one).

Let us know should you get something -

MirageF1

Executive Member
@Jake45 You make a good point about the power bank likely only being able to supply 10W/hr, although the data sheet quotes 2.1Ah current output :giggle:

Confirmation: Seems I am in luck.It has 2 usb output ports, one of which is rated 1A and the other 2.1A :thumbsup: IMG_20191206_174635.jpg IMG_20191206_175100.jpg

Last edited:

Jake45

Expert Member
@MirageF1: If you operate the router at between 7.5~9V then it should draw less current than at 12V. Neither the B315 or the B618 will operate directly from a powerbank as I have already tried to use them at 5V. They both work on the Huawei battery pack that I mentioned which outputs 7.4V.

If you don't want to order something from China then you could purchase a boost converter board from Mantech but you would have to wire it up and put it in a case etc. I think those ready made converters from China are probably using the same board internally as the same company also sells the separate boards.

If you haven't bought from Aliexpress before you should be able to get a $3 or 4$ coupon to use on your first purchase.

agentrfr

Executive Member
You can make your own PSU with one of each of these:

~3 Hrs @25W. You can add more batteries as needed

I will make one up for you at cost + R200 if you want

gfmalan

Expert Member
Hi not really looking at forking out 5k+ on inverter solution for a few common household devices(kettle, TV, etc) at this stage, can someone recommend a economical alternative , i.e power bank, battery, etc

It would need to be able to supply 2aH for say 4 hours.
The router draws 24W according to spec sheet.

As an aside:
I have a 10,000mah Rosmoss power bank which comes in handy to recharge my phone..

Where can I purchase a suitable step up cable without making my own to power my router directly from the power bank?

I bought this, and tested it on Sunday, after 3 hours one light were off, I connected a Zyxel SBG3300 to it, charged it full, unplugged and started the timer.

UPS Multi-Output 5V & 12V Battery Power Bank for WiFi Routers available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/ups-multi-output-5v-12v-battery-power-bank-for-wifi-routers/PLID54505550

MirageF1

Executive Member
UPS Multi-Output 5V & 12V Battery Power Bank for WiFi Routers available to buy online at @TAKEALOT We offer fast, reliable delivery to your door. https://www.takealot.com/ups-multi-output-5v-12v-battery-power-bank-for-wifi-routers/PLID54505550

Or similarly priced (has only 1 output ), though yours is better option.

MirageF1

Executive Member
I see TA and Geewizz will both delivery by Tuesday'ish...

however would prefer it in my hands sooner than later..anyone know of reliable stockist in Southern Subs, CT where I can go in and purchase one?