Poynting XPOL-6-10M antenna not designed for LTE-A?

Daruk

Honorary Master
For the first time after running the utility above, I get this at the login page:

Also, when I go to Network Settings, I can see it's connected over 2300MHz yet when I manually select it using that interface, I lose connectivity. I'm paying Telkom for LTE-A. I don't see why I should have to use a third party tool to get the most out of the service.

Daruk

Honorary Master
OK, latest update is I've connected the external antenna and am now getting great speeds and signal:

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Wow great LTE-A speed there. I assume you are on a capped product? Might be worth investigating taking over a R599 uncapped contract.

Works on LTE-A and with those speeds you would really enjoy it.

Also since you are on a capped you can look @ the 500GB night surfer addon if you need to do a lot of downloads or updates. At that speed you should be rocking come midnight. :)

Also just want to give you and everyone else here some clarity on Telkom band 40 and LTE-A.

Okay so Telkom is running their LTE-A network on band 40 (2300MHz) Now to get LTE-A/4G+ they run two blocks of 20MHz spectrum in band 40.

Now as everyone know that B315 and obviously other can connect to band 40 but does not do carrier aggregation. SO what happens is the router connects only to one of those 20MHz spectrum blocks at a time but it can actually connect to either not both at the same time.

Each spectrum block in basically functions as a LTE signal on it's own. SO you can get a data stream from
1800MHz
2300MHz
2300MHz

If that makes sense. The reason @OP saw speeds slow on the first time is that one band 40 is relatively fast ~70Mbps and the other one relatively slow @ ~18Mbps but both is band 40 but from different parts in that band.

Now when LTE-A/4G+ comes into play you combine those two bands into one data stream. Hence the 90Mbps+ speedtest.

So each LTE-A site of Telkom basically running 2 x 2300MHz signals if I can put it in easy terms. Non LTE-A/4G+ router will connect to one at a time where LTE-A/4G+ routers will connect to both at the same time aka aggregate both carriers to give speeds of both.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
^^Ta cavedog, some useful info there. I wonder why the modem was not hitting the LTE-A modes automatically and why selecting the 2300 MHz setting through the default B618-65d UI was killing the connection? This is surely something of a technical issue from Telkom's side. I'm happy that I have been able to set it manually using the command-line tool (I'm about to do some packet capture to see what's happening over the wire when I run the app)... but surely it shouldn't be necessary.

So I assume that I can confirm that the 4G+ on the modem's front page is confirmation that I'm getting the most from my package?

I am on capped - R1100 for 200Gb + 200Gb. I will certainly consider the R50 for 500Gb when the kids are home. My issue with uncapped is the FUP. I almost always hit the 200Gb daytime cap every month... and months when the kids are home from varsity we have to schedule their downloads after hours.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
^^Ta cavedog, some useful info there. I wonder why the modem was not hitting the LTE-A modes automatically and why selecting the 2300 MHz setting through the default B618-65d UI was killing the connection? This is surely something of a technical issue from Telkom's side. I'm happy that I have been able to set it manually using the command-line tool (I'm about to do some packet capture to see what's happening over the wire when I run the app)... but surely it shouldn't be necessary.

So I assume that I can confirm that the 4G+ on the modem's front page is confirmation that I'm getting the most from my package?

I am on capped - R1100 for 200Gb + 200Gb. I will certainly consider the R50 for 500Gb when the kids are home. My issue with uncapped is the FUP. I almost always hit the 200Gb daytime cap every month... and months when the kids are home from varsity we have to schedule their downloads after hours.
You are most certainly getting the most out of your package. Those speeds would not have been possible without a LTE-A router so you are doing pretty good.

If it's on auto the Huawei routers like to connect to 1800MHz band even if it's a LTE-A router in LTE-A coverage. I always recommend to manually tune and adjust to get the best speeds as 1800MHz might have better signal stats it's rarely faster than 2300MHz or LTE-A on 2300MHz.

As for the uncapped LTE it comes with a 300GB FUP policy so it already has 100GB more than what you are getting now and it's cheaper.

Daruk

Honorary Master
You are most certainly getting the most out of your package. Those speeds would not have been possible without a LTE-A router so you are doing pretty good.

If it's on auto the Huawei routers like to connect to 1800MHz band even if it's a LTE-A router in LTE-A coverage. I always recommend to manually tune and adjust to get the best speeds as 1800MHz might have better signal stats it's rarely faster than 2300MHz or LTE-A on 2300MHz.

As for the uncapped LTE it comes with a 300GB FUP policy so it already has 100GB more than what you are getting now and it's cheaper.
Unfortunately I have just signed up for this on a 2 year contract. I'll just be happy with what I have for now and see if I can switch at the end (hopefully I'll have Fibre as an option by then lol). Thanks a ton for the help!!

cavedog

Honorary Master
Unfortunately I have just signed up for this on a 2 year contract. I'll just be happy with what I have for now and see if I can switch at the end (hopefully I'll have Fibre as an option by then lol). Thanks a ton for the help!!
No problem :)

3lOH55A

Expert Member
Do you know anyone wanting to get rid of their LTE uncapped package?

I actually signed up on telkoms site for the 200+200 package and they never contacted me. I received a SMS a few times saying they tried to reach me. When I eventually phoned them they told me the double data special is over :/

Daruk

Honorary Master
Do you know anyone wanting to get rid of their LTE uncapped package?

I actually signed up on telkoms site for the 200+200 package and they never contacted me. I received a SMS a few times saying they tried to reach me. When I eventually phoned them they told me the double data special is over :/
Go into a shop. You might still be in luck. It's still on their web page...

Last edited:

3lOH55A

Expert Member
Go into a shop. You might still be in luck. It's still on their web page...

Thanks. Maybe the person I spoke to was uninformed. Will call them Monday.

I see there is LTE and LTE A package available. If my tower is not LTE A ready, will it just drop down to LTE?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks. Maybe the person I spoke to was uninformed. Will call them Monday.

I see there is LTE and LTE A package available. If my tower is not LTE A ready, will it just drop down to LTE?
If you take a look at the map basically all 2300MHz LTE sites are LTE-A now so very good chance you will be on LTE-A if you have Telkom LTE-A coverage.

That said yes it will. The reason the LTE-A price per month is slightly more is because you get the B618 router. PRemium router retailing for ~R5000 so I would recommend it even if you don't have LTE-A coverage.

If you take the LTE-A deal it will work on any technology lower like LTE only on all Telkoms bands, 3G and 2G.

3lOH55A

Expert Member
If you take a look at the map basically all 2300MHz LTE sites are LTE-A now so very good chance you will be on LTE-A if you have Telkom LTE-A coverage.

That said yes it will. The reason the LTE-A price per month is slightly more is because you get the B618 router. PRemium router retailing for ~R5000 so I would recommend it even if you don't have LTE-A coverage.

If you take the LTE-A deal it will work on any technology lower like LTE only on all Telkoms bands, 3G and 2G.
Thanks for the info cavedog.

Daruk

Honorary Master
hi guys
sorry to resurect this thread
this guy is selling the xpol 6 antenna very cheap
how do i know if its a genuine xpol 6 or not?

https://www.junkmail.co.za/computer...e-stock-last/04c682c461924365875316d06d3c27f4
Short of opening it, you don't, but chances are it's not going to be a copy - it's just not worth going to that effort IMO. Check the branding on the antenna - it's an SA brand, so it's unlikely Chinese counterfeiters will copy them.
The bigger concern is whether the seller is legit or trying to scam you.

HowTo

Expert Member
Hi all

So far i'm using the "Huawei Band Tool" with great success. (Aka sajunky)
I did not get those great download speeds while on Telkom LTE-A. It makes a huge difference.
Even when selecting 2300MHz on router. Great improvement. (2.5 times more speed "download" upload stays the same.)

Also no external antenna.

Speedster

Executive Member
Hi all

So far i'm using the "Huawei Band Tool" with great success. (Aka sajunky)
I did not get those great download speeds while on Telkom LTE-A. It makes a huge difference.
Even when selecting 2300MHz on router. Great improvement. (2.5 times more speed "download" upload stays the same.)

Also no external antenna.
FYI AKA = also known as

Hi All

couple things here.

B315 does not support LTE-A.

B5186 and B618 do support Carrier Aggregation or LTE-A.

the B618 uses 4x4 Mimo on the internal antenna's, possibly why you get better speeds instead of using the TS-9's connections.

the router if on auto will only choose 1800 if the signal is too weak on 2300 gHz. not all sites have 2300 gHz.

LTE-A is only supported in the 2300 gHz.

HowTo

Expert Member
Hi all
Telkom Contract LTE-A. I'm 800m away from Tower.
I did some more tests this morning. Strange but true, i jump between Cell_ID:.
With X-Pole 6 antenna
My Cell_ID: 5700099 is the correct selection for 2300MHz 4G+
RSRQ -6dB
RSRP -87dbm
SINR 12dB

Without X-Pole 6 antenna
My Cell_ID: 5700099 is the correct selection for 2300MHz 4G+
RSRQ -7db
RSRP -61dBm
SINR 18dB

Using "LTE Watch" and i switch to LTE-A within the tool it sets the router to 4G in Network Setting.
My Cell_ID: 5700106 is not the correct selection for 4G+
RSRQ -11db
RSRP -86dBm
SINR 8dB

Using Huawei "Network Setting" to 1800Mhz
My Cell_ID: 5700106

Then Random my Cell_ID switches to Cell_ID:5700102 this one also does not give you 4G+.
I picked this up when my Speed Test revealed strange numbers. No 4G+

http://telkom-saix.speedtestcustom.com/result/da42ab30-cea8-11e8-91fe-b187f055612d
This what speed test revealed.

For Info only. This is a Telkom LTE contract.
It seems my other Router B525s-65d does the same, toggles between Cell_ID
Indication on signal strength on router 5-Bar's. (switches between Cell_ID 5700099 to 5700102
Currently overcast and we had some thunder showers during the night.

See attached two Pic's
Any Suggestion to why? this is happening.

Attachments

Last edited: