PPTP VPN - Incomming connection using Telkom LTE - Port 1723 Blocked?

JDSmith

I am unable to establish an incoming PPTP VPN connection to a site that is connected with a TELKOM LTE sim using a B315.

All port forwards and firewall rules are set up correctly. I connect to several other services (HTTP / IP Cameras / TFS / SQL Server) without any issues.

A check on http://www.canyouseeme.org/ reveals that port 1723 is inaccessible. This scenario is present at three different sites.

The VPN was working fine until the LTE downtime was experiences around the 10th of January 2017. We have been unable to establish a VPN connection since this time.

Has anyone managed to successfully connect to a VPN network hosted on a TELKOM TLE Sim?

Randomsteve

I have been sitting with this same problem for over a day now. Only difference is i have a B593. I have RDP working just fine. Last night at a around 20:15 i managed to get a vpn (port 1723) connection, so i left it for the night. i tried logging on again this morning and nothing, cant get on from any connection, ive tried a fiber, DSL and lte to the site not one of them works. I will test again tonight to see if its a timed access type schedule on Telkoms side

JDSmith

Thanks RandomSteve

I have been experiencing this issue now for over a month, irrespective of the time of day. Please keep me posted should you manage to establish a VPN connection.

What type of VPN are you using? PPTP?

Perhaps Telkom has an "UNRESTRICTED" APN option like Vodacom? We I sighed up it was indicated that all TELKOM LTE sim's are unrestricted.

Last edited:

Randomsteve

Correct JD, its a simple PPTP vpn.

I was also under the impression that the APN was unrestricted. But telkoms agreement is made in a such a way they can change it at any time without notice. So it is possible that the APN is now restricted.

If it comes to it and we find out telkoms APN is now restricted we will end up changing providers.

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Correct JD, its a simple PPTP vpn.

I was also under the impression that the APN was unrestricted. But telkoms agreement is made in a such a way they can change it at any time without notice. So it is possible that the APN is now restricted.

If it comes to it and we find out telkoms APN is now restricted we will end up changing providers.

Try changing your APN from internet to TelkomInternet

JDSmith

No luck with changing to APN to TelkomInternet, thanks for the idea though...