Pre-paid ADSL data, is Afrihost the only/best/cheapest?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Hi all
Is Afrihost the only ISP offering pre-paid ADSL data? Their data is R7 per GB, are there anyone cheaper out there offering good service?
To be frank the previous time I tried Afrihost for around a month in June/July they didn't impress me at all, I had very slow speeds almost half the time, so if their are any other options I would like to try it out before buying pre-paid Afrihost data again.

P.S this data will mainly be used for streaming Youtube, Showmax etc, so if any of the ISP's have issues or limits for streaming then it also won't work for me.

ghostR

Executive Member
Afrihosts network has been down/slow since this morning due to a network problem.

Last week their entire network in the western cape went down for 5 hours.

While afrihost/axxess possibly are the only ones who offer prepaid data, they certainly aren't the best.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Thanks, from previous experience I know they are not the best, luckally this won't be my primary ISP account.

PostManPat

Vox FP is semi prepaid. All data is kept for half the time of afrihosts, but at a much lower cost.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Showmax and Youtube works fine on Afrihost for me.

Dan C

Honorary Master
In amongst all the downtime/packet loss/high latency then?
Yup.. latency don't really matter when streaming. The OP should just take the free gig or buy a small package and see for himself.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I baught 10 GB Afrihost data last night just to try it out again, must say my expectations wasn't very high with all the reports of slow Afrihost speeds the last day or so. Surprise, surprise, I got better average speed than on my primary MWeb account, I'm on a 4 MB line. I watched 2 movies on Showmax last night without any issues using the Afrihost account. Thanks for the suggestions but I need true pre-paid, I want to be able to buy 100 GB this month and only 5 GB next month as an example, as and when I need it.

Mity

Cell C giga 100. 100gig's for one year any time for R2500