Pre-Paid meter won't accept recharge voucher

Solarion

Honorary Master
As the title says, I've been trying for days now. After I enter the voucher number, the meter sits for a few minutes thinking about it, then beeps a couple of times and goes back to the main screen. I've even tried an old code, usually it will reject it, but now it does the same as above. Anyone had this problem?

Edit: This is the one I have:

PPL44PLCT.png

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
bypass the ****er - like the rest of the population

dadecoza

Expert Member
I recently had my meter replaced. The new meter actually sit in the box on the street and you only get a wireless terminal inside the house to enter your voucher numbers. My first thought was that this must be to avoid people just bypassing the meters.

Sorry for the OT.

psradebe

The first thing I would do is to press "i" then "000" which should bring out the meter number, if you cannot see this number then you have communication problems between your Customer Interface Unit (CIU) and the meter.

The next thing to do is to connect your closer to your main DB eg Kitchen, and switch off main appliances and only have the CIU connected then try again.

Solarion

Honorary Master
The first thing I would do is to press "i" then "000" which should bring out the meter number, if you cannot see this number then you have communication problems between your Customer Interface Unit (CIU) and the meter.

The next thing to do is to connect your closer to your main DB eg Kitchen, and switch off main appliances and only have the CIU connected then try again.
Thanks dude, I've tried that code and it just keeps thinking about it. Unable to communicate.

psradebe

Thanks dude, I've tried that code and it just keeps thinking about it. Unable to communicate.
The meter uses Power-line communication and something in your household is interfering with the communication frequency... I know its not the answer you want to hear but if you switch every appliance in your house and leave only the CIU it will be able to communicate.

I assume you still have power in the house, if not then the only other reason would be your meter (usually siting outside in the main box) doesn't have power.

psradebe

I recently had my meter replaced. The new meter actually sit in the box on the street and you only get a wireless terminal inside the house to enter your voucher numbers. My first thought was that this must be to avoid people just bypassing the meters.

Sorry for the OT.
Yes dade, that's the intention... but people still get to the one in the street.lol

Solarion

Honorary Master
The meter uses Power-line communication and something in your household is interfering with the communication frequency... I know its not the answer you want to hear but if you switch every appliance in your house and leave only the CIU it will be able to communicate.

I assume you still have power in the house, if not then the only other reason would be your meter (usually siting outside in the main box) doesn't have power.
I'll try this when I get home. I live in a block of flats and the other part of this meter is sitting in the Meter Room downstairs. Will post results.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Most likely a comms issue via PLC.
Also unlikely but a possibility, the CIU has "lost" its pairing with the main meter.

I have all the manuals for these meters if that will help

Venomous

Honorary Master
you say recently replaced?
Is this the first time since the initial install that you are atempting to add a voucher?

Bic

Can't recharge

you say recently replaced?
Is this the first time since the initial install that you are atempting to add a voucher?
I have the same problem and no this is not the first time I have attempted to recharge. I have recharged successfully twice previously. I do not believe there is any problem with comms to the meter since the units are running down and mirror the units which appear on the meter in the DB room.

So my question is why would the recharge capability of the meter suddenly become dysfunctional ? What number or who can I call who can check the connectivity between the meter in the DB room and whoever the supplier is (City Power I presume). If I phone the normal City Power number they do not want to refer the call to whichever section it is that actually deals with such issues.

Bic

The ironic thing is that that is exactly what City Power wanted to do. When I reported the problem (ie could not recharge) they sent someone out to "bridge" the meter ?? How can they do that rather than resolving the problem of why one can't recharge. Being a very "correct" citizen I turned down the 'offer' and asked them to rather resolve why I could not recharge.

thys heyns

I have the same problem. Around 4-6pm is the only time I can punch in vouchers. I've had situations where I only had 3 units left and I have tenants lol. Did you find a solution?

Solarion

Honorary Master
Yes. Unplug and move it to a different plug in the house. Seriass. After much digging I got hold of the manufacturers and they said sometimes the signal gets interference in that particular spot where you usually keep it (in the kitchen usually)

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Yes. Unplug and move it to a different plug in the house. Seriass. After much digging I got hold of the manufacturers and they said sometimes the signal gets interference in that particular spot where you usually keep it (in the kitchen usually)
Just unplug it when you aren't putting a voucher in or checking remaining units? That'll solve the problem permanently.

eehellfire

Honorary Master
I'm having this issue now...

Just lots of lines on the screen when I try recharge - it's never happened before.
Sometimes it shows the --30-- error code.
The remaining units are still in sync between the meter and the mobile unit so there is some communication happening.

Tried all the suggestions in this thread - no joy.

Any other recommendations (while I'm on hold for City of Joburg)?