PrEP: A Pill a Day Keeps The HIV Away

chefdude98

I think that prep encourages the bareback,chemsex culture in the gay community.

The gay community is pretty ****ed up, the chemsex bareback, cheating "straight" guy culture will always be there BUT I think prep has kinda made tge situation worse.

I wish gay men would just grow the **** up.

Gay men are inherently broken. Some of us carry less damage than others.

I saw a gay psychiatrist once in the CPT. I remember thinking "yay somebody that might get the stuff Im going through".

The gay psychiatrist hit on a friend of mine at the time, they walked up to a darkroom, did some coke and had sex in the dark room. I never saw that psychiatrist again. I will never seek medical advice from a gay guy in thmedical community. The hypocrisy of gay people pisses me off.

We fight for the right to marry, call out bigots but treat each other like trash.

Don't get me started on classism, obsession with masculinity and racism in the gay community.

I have always been supportive of gay issues and spoken up against homophobia.

Now im like "**** it you bitches are on your own".

Our biggest hurdle isn't the u progressive, backward people but ourselves.

Method

Executive Member
My psychiatrist asked me once if I hated being gay.

My reply :"I am comfortable with being gay and accept myself. I just dislike the cunty people that form the majority of the gay community".
I don't think it's the majority. It's just what we see the most.

I don't know any gay people like that at all.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I don't think it's the majority. It's just what we see the most.

I don't know any gay people like that at all.
Yip. As with straight people, we come in all shapes, sizes, colours and personality traits. Some of us are lovely people....some of us can be complete jerks.

EMAM

Executive Member
Yip. As with straight people, we come in all shapes, sizes, colours and personality traits. Some of us are lovely people....some of us can be complete jerks.
I know one that was a complete and utter jerk

We're now at a stage where we are absolute best friends, soul mates and "love " of each others lives

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Went back today after a month of taking it. The nurse took blood again and did another HIV test and was negative (thank god) and the blood will be sent to check if kidney function is ok. I now got 3 month's supply so now only have to go back to Pretoria again in December.

I have to say....this nurse is amazing. They do ask rather personal questions as they need to submit a form of o government and sponsors of the Prep tablets. I think it is for them to continue studying the outcomes and get idea of sexual behaviour of people that go into prep. Questions like when was your last sexual encounter. We're you top or bottom. Did you use protection during penetration. Did you have oral sex and if so...did you use protection. Are you cut or uncut. And while waiting for the HIV test to complete...she reassures me again that hiv is not a life changing event anymore. You get out into meds immediately and you go on with your life. Etc etc.

So ja....that is my prep story. It is free .... Appart from the trek to Pretoria....and no side effects....except maybe that I have started dreaming again. Though not sure if it is connected.

Personally I recommend others to at least investigate and see if this is something you or your partner can benefit from. Example...a straight couple where the husband is poz and the woman is neg but they would like to have a family...then as long as the husband is on treatment and undetectable and the wife is on prep....they can safely have a baby naturally should they want to start a family.

Method

Executive Member
Went back today after a month of taking it. The nurse took blood again and did another HIV test and was negative (thank god) and the blood will be sent to check if kidney function is ok. I now got 3 month's supply so now only have to go back to Pretoria again in December.

I have to say....this nurse is amazing. They do ask rather personal questions as they need to submit a form of o government and sponsors of the Prep tablets. I think it is for them to continue studying the outcomes and get idea of sexual behaviour of people that go into prep. Questions like when was your last sexual encounter. We're you top or bottom. Did you use protection during penetration. Did you have oral sex and if so...did you use protection. Are you cut or uncut. And while waiting for the HIV test to complete...she reassures me again that hiv is not a life changing event anymore. You get out into meds immediately and you go on with your life. Etc etc.

So ja....that is my prep story. It is free .... Appart from the trek to Pretoria....and no side effects....except maybe that I have started dreaming again. Though not sure if it is connected.

Personally I recommend others to at least investigate and see if this is something you or your partner can benefit from. Example...a straight couple where the husband is poz and the woman is neg but they would like to have a family...then as long as the husband is on treatment and undetectable and the wife is on prep....they can safely have a baby naturally should they want to start a family.
I have a friend that is HIV positive. He lives a completely normal life with his husband. You would have no idea he is positive unless he tell you.

HIV isn't a life sentence anymore, but people still need to be safe and get tested so that it doesn't spread.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I have a friend that is HIV positive. He lives a completely normal life with his husband. You would have no idea he is positive unless he tell you.

HIV isn't a life sentence anymore, but people still need to be safe and get tested so that it doesn't spread.
Indeed. The nurse yesterday also said that HIV is handled so much differently compared to in the 90's and early 2000's. No more waiting until your CD4 count plummets to the ground before putting someone on treatment. Now, soon as you test positive you are put onto treatment. And this is not only to keep you healthy but also to get you to being undetectable and stop the virus from being transmitted. So with Prep and people being put onto treatment soon as they test positive, hopefully we will start seeing a dramatic drop in HIV infections.

Soon as he put the HIV test thingy in front of me after it completed and I saw the result I let out a big sigh and a "thank god". She was like why are you so scared? You had the same reaction the last time when we did the test before putting you on prep. I told her every time I do a HIV test I get extremely anxious and scared .... always have been since I took my first test when I was in high school still. She asked me but why? HIV is more like diabetes today where you just have to take a pill every day and you can live a normal happy life and most likely outlive other HIV neg people. I told her I know ... I have read all these things and my rational brain understand it ... but the unreational part does not accept it. It is still clinging onto what I was taught as a child and young adult that HIV is a death sentence. You have a few good years left and if the HIV dont kill you, the meds will etc etc. It has been so engrained and hammered in that I cant let go of those old ideas ..... and that I think is why I have such a severe reaction to getting tested. Even when I have done HIV tests at home ... I have a full glass of wine and by the time the results show on the strip I would have smoked like 6 cigarettes.

EMAM

Executive Member
Posting for a friend

He went on Prep 2 weeks ago - terrible anxiety, short tempered and just feeling absolutely shyte.
He took himself off it and is feeling fine again.
How long do initial symptoms last?
I don't feel like reading through the whole thread, so sorry if this has been asked before

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Posting for a friend

He went on Prep 2 weeks ago - terrible anxiety, short tempered and just feeling absolutely shyte.
I don't feel like reading through the whole thread, so sorry if this has been asked before
The nurse at the clinic told me it can last from one week to a month. But with almost all people they do go away completely. I actually did not have any issues ... Appart from a upset tummy for the first few days.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Posting for a friend

Friend or ex? :p

Polly101

The efavirenz component of the drug causes the psychiatric side effects. I'm surprised no one discussed side effect potential with either EMAM's ex/friend or with Ockie.

The side effects are usually temporary - you do get used to it. It is a very common side effect

EMAM

Executive Member
Tell you friend to just try and stick it out. Everyone I know personally who has gone one prep has not had side effects. But people are different.
He takes other pills too for other stuff so I told him to find out if this may be the cause.