Prepaid airtime and VAT

DearHeart

Expert Member
After being on contract with Vodacom for years I switched to prepaid. I used to claim VAT back and obviously had the proper VAT documents available for proof. I first started buying airtime via ABSA IB but now realized that they don't supply a VAT invoice. Then I looked at Vodacom's facility, but the only way to get a VAT invoice is to request a statement at R10 a shot. Question is, what is the best way to buy prepaid online and receive a VAT invoice without having to request it? I looked at prepaid24.co.za but you also have to request an invoice. Another question, if you purchase a voucher at a B&M outlet, does it show the VAT on the till slip?

Zenthrax

Had a look, the quick invoice they mail you has limited details on. Once you log into your nivo account online you can download a proper copy of the invoice with vat etc on it at no cost

DearHeart

Expert Member
Thanks, much appreciated. Great to see that Nivo is doing a proper job where most others are failing. Some people might not care about accuracy but I had a VAT audit a number of years ago and I can vouch for "rather safe than sorry".

FlashSA

Executive Member
Takealot also provides a proper tax invoice with your vat number for all purchases, including airtime.

Thor

Honorary Master
After being on contract with Vodacom for years I switched to prepaid. I used to claim VAT back and obviously had the proper VAT documents available for proof. I first started buying airtime via ABSA IB but now realized that they don't supply a VAT invoice. Then I looked at Vodacom's facility, but the only way to get a VAT invoice is to request a statement at R10 a shot. Question is, what is the best way to buy prepaid online and receive a VAT invoice without having to request it? I looked at prepaid24.co.za but you also have to request an invoice. Another question, if you purchase a voucher at a B&M outlet, does it show the VAT on the till slip?
Myprepaidairtime.co.za

DearHeart

Expert Member
Thanks peeps, tried both Takealot and Nivo but the latter has auto recharge whilst Takealot sends you a voucher which is a schlep. Same with myprepaidairtime, and they don't have a direct payment facility. Nivo's produces a perfect tax invoice and recharges automatically, seems like the best option.

Thor

Honorary Master
Same with myprepaidairtime, and they don't have a direct payment facility.
You can look at https://simcloud.co.za/ it allows you to do pinless recharges (single and/or bulk). It also has a neat feature which allows you to look up what network a particular MSISDN belongs to.

It's still "prepaid" meaning you will need to have a balance there, the reason for that is that the margins in airtime are too small to accommodate a payment gateway so EFT is the only viable way.
2019-05-02_15-24-44.png