Prepaid data pricing: How good is 8ta’s deal really?

alkit

Seem to be missing something in the comparison.
Why not compare PREPAID to PREPAID and compare 2GB to 2GB.

CELL C Prepaid 2GB (R999/12) = R83.25 per month (works out to R41.63 per GB)
8ta Prepaid 2GB = R149 per month (Even if you include the 1GB after 12am, it works out to R49.67 per GB. If you don't need to browse after 12am, you only have 2GB and then it is R74.5 per GB)

I'm just struggling to see how this is a good deal from 8ta while the CellC promotion is still running?

vzta22

8ta Prepaid 2GB = R149 per month (Even if you include the 1GB after 12am, it works out to R49.67 per GB. If you don't need to browse after 12am, you only have 2GB and then it is R74.5 per GB)

I'm just struggling to see how this is a good deal from 8ta while the CellC promotion is still running?

Yes, Cell C is prepaid but you need to pay 12 months up front. With 8ta, you're not under any pressure to maky payment upfront. If you consider the economic factors on the money you pay upfront to Cell C (i.e. you could earn interest on that money you pay upfront), the price per GB between the 2 MNOs can turn out to be more or less the same.

alkit

Yes, Cell C is prepaid but you need to pay 12 months up front. With 8ta, you're not under any pressure to maky payment upfront. If you consider the economic factors on the money you pay upfront to Cell C (i.e. you could earn interest on that money you pay upfront), the price per GB between the 2 MNOs can turn out to be more or less the same.

If you are like me that only needs the mobile bandwidth during the day, then no interest could make up the difference between R74.5 and R41.63.

Additionally, I often get 3G coverage on my cell c card in places where MTN and vodacom only have EDGE coverage. I'm sure 8ta isn't even in that league yet. So even if the price was identical, I'd still opt for Cell C as the coverage will be better (I have a feeling it has something to do with the 900mhz thing)

Alfroogy

I would really love to switch to either CellC or 8ta but I don't get coverage for either of them here where I study in Grahamstown. Which I think is balls considering it's a student town. We should have been one of the first to get coverage *rant over*

JohannesPaulsen

I still prefer 8ta. R149 pm with 60 day roll over is more managable. Also very good modem deals at R699 for 21.6 Mbps.

tsume

The Pervy Sage
You must have been living under a rock for the last year if you're still buying prepaid bundles from Vodacom.

No need, unlike VC, the 8ta SIM will work in most compatable 3g routers. I have also used my CellC data SIM in a 8ta modem.
You should have left VC years ago, what more do you need to make the message clearer, some Vaseline ?
The Cell C signal has been a bit dodgy where I'm at until 3 months ago. I just keep't putting it off after that, but now there is some real incentive for me.

Jola

Honorary Master
I would really love to switch to either CellC or 8ta but I don't get coverage for either of them here where I study in Grahamstown. Which I think is balls considering it's a student town. We should have been one of the first to get coverage *rant over*

Fully agree with that, not sure why the providers have been so poor in Grahamstown.

I was there the other day, my coverage was best with 8ta prepaid roaming on MTN (ie MTN 3G was good !).

But that is the normal 8ta prepaid, which is fairly expensive.

Redsbaron

I use an iphone3GS for emails on the run. Problem is it is not supported by CELC, only on EDGE which is not an option. So the only available choices are VC or 8ta.

I wonder how 8ta in PE coverage is?

Mapleton

You must have been living under a rock for the last year if you're still buying prepaid bundles from Vodacom.

Must be a lot of peole living under rocks if VC still makes enormous profits - SA is full of the uninformed.

charlh

I have been using 8ta since the launch last year, and buying 500mb data bundles for R150 as I need it. Only roaming on MTN is available in Tzaneen. But the speed and coverage is excellent here.

What about a promotion that includes subscribers in area's that don't have access to 8ta towers?

Last edited:

Big Sub-Zero

8ta, no need to pay upfront, can opt out anytime you want whereas Cell C is like a contract as you pay all the dough upfront, you are basically locked for the next 12 months, the only way to opt out is not to use the services you have already paid for up front. To me 8ta still stands as the best prepaid deal at this very moment. 12 months is a very long time and anything can happen during that period. Watch out for more specials from 8ta, the broadband will never be the same. I won’t be surprised if this special will run indefinitely.

Last edited:

Big Sub-Zero

I have been using 8ta since the launch last year, and buying 500mb data bundles for R150 as I need it. Only roaming on MTN is available in Tzaneen. But the speed and coverage is excellent here.

What about a promotion that includes subscribers in area's that don't have access to 8ta towers?

It won’t make business sense for 8ta as they have to pay wholesale price for that Data from MTN which cost far more than the price they asking on this promo.

It’s like buying a loaf of bread from Albany for R7 and resell it for R4… That is only possible if you got money to burn.

taajir

well done 8ta
now work on coverage
eish vod still going to announce.................
maybe it worked out better n now they can announce really good prices

LPCPT

It won’t make business sense for 8ta as they have to pay wholesale price for that Data from MTN which cost far more than the price they asking on this promo.

It’s like buying a loaf of bread from Albany for R7 and resell it for R4… That is only possible if you got money to burn.
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the 8ta specials run on their own network and not the roaming on MTN.
So they do not buy it from another company and that's why they check if you have coverage first.

MickeyD

RIP
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the 8ta specials run on their own network and not the roaming on MTN.
So they do not buy it from another company and that's why they check if you have coverage first.
Correct.