Prepaid electricity users in Joburg face R554 fixed fee

Daniel Puchert

Journalist
Staff member
Joburg prepaid electricity users face R554 fixed fee
Prepaid electricity users in Johannesburg could soon pay substantially more for their connections, even before using any power.

The metro's adjustment budget for the 2024/2025 financial year includes a proposal that prepaid electricity charges in the city be split into two different tariffs from 1 July.

• Love
Reactions: 3WA
The DA has labelled the most recent adjustments as “ridiculous” and encouraged residents to give their input on the budget in the public participation process. City Power denied that any tariff adjustments had been decided.

That's pretty rich coming from the DA. They implemented the exact same fixed charge for prepaid users in Cape Town themselves, albeit not as high as this one.

That's pretty rich coming from the DA. They implemented the exact same fixed charge for prepaid users in Cape Town themselves, albeit not as high as this one.
What did the Cape Town users say in the public participation process?

What did the Cape Town users say in the public participation process?

If there was a public participation process I certainly was never aware of it and I've lived my whole life in Cape Town. I do remember it causing a considerable amount of outrage when it was implemented a few years ago. It's obviously got a lot to do with revenue loss due to loadshedding.

FFS, who is looking at a new Porsche again. Why must we pay for this.
Cause they provide a service and capacity... not sure what service as even postpaid they are pushing people to submit their own readings

If there was a public participation process I certainly was never aware of it and I've lived my whole life in Cape Town. I do remember it causing a considerable amount of outrage when it was implemented a few years ago. It's obviously got a lot to do with revenue loss due to loadshedding.
Now is your chance to vote them out.

If they push this through I will join those people with their illegal connections.

Back