Prepaid meter City Power JHB

Sinbad

Honorary Master
City Power is a complete ****ing mess. They appointed a politically connected company with no prior experience with residential metering to do the new smart meter rollout.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Could not tell you. I wish I knew. You are greeted by unhelpful rude people who won't help unless you help them

This. The guy that helped us was a kind of rude that I have never ever experienced in my life. Even more so than SAPS. He refused to look at us when he was addressing us. The whole time he was telling us to come back in two weeks for quote and then another two weeks for installation he was looking at his desk. Even when we said thank you and good bye he just said bye without looking at us. Revolting attitude. Thing is you dont want to piss them off either by calling them on it cause then they will get you back and make your life a living hell I am sure. :mad:

marine1

Honorary Master
This. The guy that helped us was a kind of rude that I have never ever experienced in my life. Even more so than SAPS. He refused to look at us when he was addressing us. The whole time he was telling us to come back in two weeks for quote and then another two weeks for installation he was looking at his desk. Even when we said thank you and good bye he just said bye without looking at us. Revolting attitude. Thing is you dont want to piss them off either by calling them on it cause then they will get you back and make your life a living hell I am sure. :mad:

Spot on.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Yay...after two months of struggling they coming today to install prepaid.

noswal

Executive Member
A year ago I was quote a price of R5000 to install the next day through one of the admin people at CofJ obviously that included handling charges and internal contractual payments... you know what I mean.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Prepaid installed and working. Bought R200.00 power with Capitec android app. ..... easy peasy.

BUT

The guy gave me a job card thing that proves that our old meter have been removed and we are now on prepaid .... AND we now have to go to City Power office again and hand this thing in else they gonna keep on billing us!:mad: This is now the third time we hav e to go there to be switched over to prepaid. First time to put in the application. Second time to go pay the amount required.....and now again to go hand in this certificate for them to stop billing us. Is is somewhere in City Powers mantra to make life a living fcking hell for its customers???????? :mad:

hellfire

Honorary Master
Prepaid installed and working. Bought R200.00 power with Capitec android app. ..... easy peasy.

BUT

The guy gave me a job card thing that proves that our old meter have been removed and we are now on prepaid .... AND we now have to go to City Power office again and hand this thing in else they gonna keep on billing us!:mad: This is now the third time we hav e to go there to be switched over to prepaid. First time to put in the application. Second time to go pay the amount required.....and now again to go hand in this certificate for them to stop billing us. Is is somewhere in City Powers mantra to make life a living fcking hell for its customers???????? :mad:

Ockie, what's the best time of day to go - have to do it this week and don't want to be queuing for hours

cfvh600

Expert Member

BUT

Hi Ockie, how much did you have to pay at City Council for the conversion? I've been talking to people that can apply for the conversion on my behalf and they told me it will cost R7000 with City Council for the conversion.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Hi Ockie, how much did you have to pay at City Council for the conversion? I've been talking to people that can apply for the conversion on my behalf and they told me it will cost R7000 with City Council for the conversion.

AFAIK ****ty power charge around R3500

So these okes are making a killing.

xinath

I applied for the prepaid meter 1 year ago....paid R2508...., now they making me sing and dance to get the installation done!
I have spoken to the area manager, the regional manager, director and countless other people, send over 30 e-mails, made over 20 phone calls and still nothing!
I even threatened them to go to John Robbie ....and surprise surprise no response what so ever!

Any suggestions?

lws

I was under the impression that if you have a smart meter installed already that they would use that same meter. I e-mailed CityPower, mentioned my smart meter ID but I was still quoted for R2500 installation.

Is this correct or do I need to contact them again?

jun_tao

Expert Member
I was under the impression that if you have a smart meter installed already that they would use that same meter. I e-mailed CityPower, mentioned my smart meter ID but I was still quoted for R2500 installation.

Is this correct or do I need to contact them again?

I think you should contact them again.

I sent a msg via Twitter to citypower about switching to prepaid, got a reply within 10 min saying I should mail their call centre. I sent them a mail at about 11:30pm, to my shock I got a reply at 05:45 saying as long as I have a smart meter it will be free. I just need to phone them and log a ticket.

I phoned them this afternoon. Spoke to a guy named Afa (hope I spelt it right) was very knowledgeable about the conversion process, sadly he said it's been put on hold for the time being. He couldn't say when it will start again, but suggested I still log a ticket so when it starts again I'll still be in the queue. He was honest in saying that I will have to be patient as there is quite a queue.

I also asked him about the price. He did comfirm that since I have a smart meter it will be free of charge.

So now it's just a waiting game.

Hope that helps.

alanB

What phone number should I call? I also have a smart meter. I dont have time to call their call centre unless I have to, so if you have a direct number to this Afa person that would be helpful.

Thanks
Alan

jun_tao

Expert Member
What phone number should I call? I also have a smart meter. I dont have time to call their call centre unless I have to, so if you have a direct number to this Afa person that would be helpful.

Thanks
Alan

Hey Alan.

Sadly I don't have his direct line. I phoned the call centre. This is the number which I got in the mail. 078 022 0540. I selected an option relating to smart meters. It's a totally different voice to the options before. I think it's option 7.

I called on a Friday after 3 and they picked up within 30 secs. Was very impressed.

Arcane9

Hey Alan.

Sadly I don't have his direct line. I phoned the call centre. This is the number which I got in the mail. 078 022 0540. I selected an option relating to smart meters. It's a totally different voice to the options before. I think it's option 7.

I called on a Friday after 3 and they picked up within 30 secs. Was very impressed.

In case anyone else finds this thread, the number above is not correct. Correct number is 087 022 0540, select option 7. To confirm for a smart meter you can convert with no additional fees and you do not have to go into a branch. All done over the phone.

oober

Expert Member
Our City Power prepaid was installed for free two year ago. Saves us the R430 service charges which are quite high.