Prepaid meter City Power JHB

EchoZA

Expert Member
So with these new smart meters, how do we get it converted to prepaid?

Mine was installed with an optional unit that you connect to power and a pre-paid card, for when and if I decide to move over to pre-paid.

system32

Expert Member
Our City Power prepaid was installed for free two year ago. Saves us the R430 service charges which are quite high.
Same here, mine was installed a few years ago - free.
Saves R430 per month over post-paid.
I'm horrified to hear they want money to install prepaid meter.

system32

Expert Member
Our City Power prepaid was installed for free two year ago. Saves us the R430 service charges which are quite high.
Same here, mine was installed a few years ago - free.
Saves R430 per month over post-paid.
I'm horrified to hear they want money to install prepaid meter.

dbz0e

Hi, Has anyone installed the City Power Prepaid Electricity Meter lately. I am looking at our complex.

PurePower

I've got the new smart meter which came with a Customer info unit. How do i convert to prepaid with this type of system?

abudabi

Expert Member
I've got the new smart meter which came with a Customer info unit. How do i convert to prepaid with this type of system?

Yep me too... the new itron unit I believe... was done a few months ago. Looking at converting to prepaid now. Is the free upgrade still available and on track ?

hellfire

Honorary Master

Yep me too... the new itron unit I believe... was done a few months ago. Looking at converting to prepaid now. Is the free upgrade still available and on track ?
You guys been having fun with load limiting?

abudabi

Expert Member
Not yet. But even if we move over to prepaid it's still the same smart meter.. hence I'm sure load limiting will still kick in.

abudabi

Expert Member
From what I've read you need to email escalations@citypower.co.za. Tried it with no answer. Then on a whim I mailed smartmetersupport@citypower.co.za adn got a quick answer.. although it was not what I wanted to hear.

As per City Power process.
You need to contact COJ or go to your nearest walk in centre.
You will then be provided with a application form and a ref number.
City power will then assist you in converting to pre-paid.

So looks like I'll have to go in :(

jun_tao

Expert Member
So pretty much the same sorry. Applied in March with the smart meter call centre, phone then last week only to be told my ticket was closed and need to re-apply with City Power. Went to City power this morning, was quick told them I need to apply for pre-paid, filled out a form given a ref number and was told to come in next week for a quote. In and out in 10min. The "quote" part is gonna scare me, I know it. Lol

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So pretty much the same sorry. Applied in March with the smart meter call centre, phone then last week only to be told my ticket was closed and need to re-apply with City Power. Went to City power this morning, was quick told them I need to apply for pre-paid, filled out a form given a ref number and was told to come in next week for a quote. In and out in 10min. The "quote" part is gonna scare me, I know it. Lol

Finally, An Answer on Smart Meter to Pre-Paid Conversion
City Power is installing smart meters as part of a smart grid program, eventually covering all customers. In areas where installations are presently being done, City Power offers the prepaid payment method, particularly for customers who consume less than 1000kWh per month. Customers are not expected to pay for the physical meter as this is part of the smart grid program.
However, where a customer receives a new smart meter or has an existing smart meter and decides to migrate from conventional billing to a prepaid mode, there is then a charge that City Power would expect a customer to pay. This charge is intended to cover the administration of the process and the meter reprogramming to pre-paid mode. This charge is currently set at R450.00 (excl Vat) for the 2015/16 financial year. (R513 incl Vat)

jun_tao

Expert Member
Finally, An Answer on Smart Meter to Pre-Paid Conversion
City Power is installing smart meters as part of a smart grid program, eventually covering all customers. In areas where installations are presently being done, City Power offers the prepaid payment method, particularly for customers who consume less than 1000kWh per month. Customers are not expected to pay for the physical meter as this is part of the smart grid program.
However, where a customer receives a new smart meter or has an existing smart meter and decides to migrate from conventional billing to a prepaid mode, there is then a charge that City Power would expect a customer to pay. This charge is intended to cover the administration of the process and the meter reprogramming to pre-paid mode. This charge is currently set at R450.00 (excl Vat) for the 2015/16 financial year. (R513 incl Vat)

Thanks for that. That amount isn't as painful as I'd thought it be.

abudabi

Expert Member
Cool.. Sinbad where'd you get that blurb from?

@jun_tao
Please update us next week once you've gotten your quote.

jun_tao

Expert Member
@abudabi

So an update (bit of a story), this morning I went back to City Power to get my quote. Was served by the same lady as last week, surprisingly she remembered me. I told her I was here for my quote, gave her the ref number. She printed the recon for my account to show that I'm paid up, very kindly only printed to the end of July as my August statement was ready. After that she told me the application is free and that I must go to block B to hand in the forms. Get there hand the forms in, and the guy wants to know where the proof of payment is, so I tell him the lady before says it was free, he sits back and folds his arms and says no you need to pay for this. Luckily the lady who helped me walks in so I tell her about the payment. So she shouts at him saying "Oh so we starting to charge them again"? She then tells me I must got into another office, there a lady takes my forms and fills out an application for the prepaid, asks for two contact numbers and says they will call in 15-20 days. She confirms the application to prepaid is free. But I suspect that I will have to cover the admin cost of the actual conversion as Sinbad mentioned.

TL: DR - Application to prepaid should be free.

Last edited:

ichocolate

In the year 2016 how the heck does prepaid setup work. I have waited for ages and nobody from CP has come back to us to say what is going on. I have followed up 2 times already since applying in 17 June. I also have a meter installed earlier this year.
On the City Power site general and prepaid queries are using the same e-mail which is silly and i have tied to recommend a better system to that but failure to send the online post has resulted in my coming here and to another site.
15 days turn around time for a general inquiry, that's ridiculous.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Can anyone confirm if the conversion is done for free with the new smart meter is is there a R475 admin fee stil!

jun_tao

Expert Member
Can anyone confirm if the conversion is done for free with the new smart meter is is there a R475 admin fee stil!

I had to re-do my application in April, I have a smart meter and I still paid the admin fee.

Mine was R450+vat!