Prepaid meter City Power JHB

Dolby

Honorary Master
Could you give a rough idea of costs when using councilcouriers please?
I just got a bill with an extra R700 added on for Service Charge, Network Charge and VAT on both so would like to switch over to prepaid.

Thanks!
Mine was R1,500.00 to CC.

But, your COJ account needs to be up to date (to the day) - pro rata. So if you apply mid-month, your bill may be a few hundred already.

Mine was actually R1,500.00 + R700.00ish (I applied mid-month) - so a total of R2,200.00 to CC, but they'd settled the coucil on my behalf (as gave me a POP and it reflected on my next council bill)

Mine was R1,500.00 to CC.

But, your COJ account needs to be up to date (to the day) - pro rata. So if you apply mid-month, your bill may be a few hundred already.

Mine was actually R1,500.00 + R700.00ish (I applied mid-month) - so a total of R2,200.00 to CC, but they'd settled the coucil on my behalf (as gave me a POP and it reflected on my next council bill)
Thank you!
Thats not bad at all to save yourself the hassle of dealing with COJ.
I mailed them already, and i will start the process.

Much appreciated!

Dolby

Honorary Master
Thank you!
Thats not bad at all to save yourself the hassle of dealing with COJ.
I mailed them already, and i will start the process.

Much appreciated!
Welcome :)

Yea that was my reasoning too .... someone said it 'only 'takes an hour in one of their local offices, but I really don't have an hour extra in my day. Plus, with the network charge saved, I really do make it up in less than 3 months anyhow.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Welcome :)

Yea that was my reasoning too .... someone said it 'only 'takes an hour in one of their local offices, but I really don't have an hour extra in my day. Plus, with the network charge saved, I really do make it up in less than 3 months anyhow.
Until CoJ introduces a service charge like Tshwane just did which even applies to prepaid purchased via a reseller. :mad:

In addition, the city has introduced the fixed charge of R200 per month for residential customers who buy their electricity from resellers.
https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-africa/the-tariff-mess-the-city-of-tshwane-made/

If you're buying pre-paid from a reseller in Tshwane (like in many complexes) you could end up paying R200 per month for zero kW/h of electricity.

Until CoJ introduces a service charge like Tshwane just did which even applies to prepaid purchased via a reseller. :mad:

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-africa/the-tariff-mess-the-city-of-tshwane-made/

If you're buying pre-paid from a reseller in Tshwane (like in many complexes) you could end up paying R200 per month for zero kW/h of electricity.
CoJ Service charge and network charge +VAT on regular non prepaid account this month came to R671,60 for 0kW/h.
I would rather take the R200 on prepaid if they introduce it over that.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Just get prepaid and don't pay anything extra :)
You missed the news.
The CoJ and Tshwane are trying or have implemented a monthly surcharge/service fee on prepaid before you receive electricity.

Example:
The City of Johannesburg (CoJ) has introduced new electricity tariffs for the 2019/20 period, including a nasty shock for prepaid users.
As of 1 July 2019, prepaid electricity users in the city will have an additional R200 slapped onto their monthly bill as a municipal surcharge attached to accounts.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/energy/327907/electricity-price-shock-for-joburg-residents/

And then CoJ seems to have backtracked on it: City of Joburg quietly reverses new prepaid surcharge

Lupus

Honorary Master
Did you bother reading what the CoJ and Tshwane are trying or have implemented?
They're adding a monthly surcharge/service fee on prepaid before you receive electricity.

Example:
The City of Johannesburg (CoJ) has introduced new electricity tariffs for the 2019/20 period, including a nasty shock for prepaid users.
As of 1 July 2019, prepaid electricity users in the city will have an additional R200 slapped onto their monthly bill as a municipal surcharge attached to accounts.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/energy/327907/electricity-price-shock-for-joburg-residents/

And then CoJ seems to have backtracked on it: City of Joburg quietly reverses new prepaid surcharge
Yes and currently it's not added and even if it is you'll still be R290 less then postpaid. I've commented in the relevant posts about the surcharge.
I just checked my July bill no surcharge.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Yes and currently it's not added and even if it is you'll still be R290 less then postpaid. I've commented in the relevant posts about the surcharge.
I just checked my July bill no surcharge.
It shows intent though.
No surcharge on pre-paid in JHB this year but they wanted to add it to screw more money out of customers.