Prepaid meter City Power JHB

Neuk_

Executive Member
CoJ and City power are different entities, sorting out my rates and taxes was easy peasy. But dealing with City power isn't easy.

I'll ask him when I see him again, I presume it is the Daisy St CoJ office that does deal with the following:

Accounts payments
Accounts enquiries
Apply for special cases
Credit control arrangements
Customer education on understanding statements
Full and final settlement of accounts
Lodge a customer query
Lodge a credit control query
Meter investigation requests
Obtain information on accounts
Reconnection request of services after cut-off
Refund request
Remissions on accounts for senior citizens
Termination of services by owners
New connections electricity, water and sewer

rrh

Expert Member
Reviving thread once again.

Going prepaid can [now] be done via email.

I submitted the documents listed in the "Guideline to convert to prepaid" via email to regionXrevenue@joburg.org.za (where X is your region) and received a reference number. A week or so later I received an invoice for the conversion, which I paid. I received an email this morning saying that I had contact City Power Technical, but before I could contact them I received a call from a techie saying that he was en route. This I managed to change to 09h00 tomorrow.

A couple of questions:
1. Once the meters are changed must I immediately purchase tokens (i.e. does the switch take place immediately) or is there a day or two's breathing space ?
2. Purchasing tokens: is someone like Powertime recommended, or should I simply purchase from anywhere ?

wonduhboy

Reviving thread once again.

Going prepaid can [now] be done via email.

I submitted the documents listed in the "Guideline to convert to prepaid" via email to regionXrevenue@joburg.org.za (where X is your region) and received a reference number. A week or so later I received an invoice for the conversion, which I paid. I received an email this morning saying that I had contact City Power Technical, but before I could contact them I received a call from a techie saying that he was en route. This I managed to change to 09h00 tomorrow.

A couple of questions:
1. Once the meters are changed must I immediately purchase tokens (i.e. does the switch take place immediately) or is there a day or two's breathing space ?
2. Purchasing tokens: is someone like Powertime recommended, or should I simply purchase from anywhere ?
1- They give you 30-odd units, so you have a while before you need to purchase
2 - I use Discovery Bank to get the 20% discount using Miles, but you can purchase from anywhere I believe

Thanks for the conversion info.

Lupus

Honorary Master
1- They give you 30-odd units, so you have a while before you need to purchase
2 - I use Discovery Bank to get the 20% discount using Miles, but you can purchase from anywhere I believe

Thanks for the conversion info.
30 units, that's like a day maybe 2.
To get units I use FNB and ebucks actually, I know people are like but you could get ebucks by buying it cash and yadda yadda, but I get enough ebucks to cover me a month + some takealot stuffs.

rrh

Expert Member
The techies finally arrived - about an hour late - and performed the "conversion", which took about five minutes.

The rush-through of instructions took about another five minutes, during which time I learnt that I could (a) read better than they could; and (b) that I was "gifted" with approximately eight units.

The techies then insisted (a "fact" that I confirmed with City Power) that the first purchase of additional units be done via Shoprite/Checkers or Pick-'n-Pay, something which p*ssed me off, mainly 'cos no-one could provide a valid reason for this undocumented requirement.

So off to Rosebank Mall I toddled ...

Checkers' staff insisted that their system was down, so I visited PnP, who (after some fiddling) stated that (a) the meter number was valid; but (b) that the meter [number] wasn't [in effect] linked to my account. The last providing the reason for the requirement to visit the Mall: the supermarkets have interactive systems ....

I will draw a veil over the next hour that - despite a second visit to both stores and a couple of calls to the techies - got me no further.

After getting home I decided to ignore the indignant techie's last call (that now all was OK with my account / that I should have listened to him and waited (at the mall) for his follow-up phone call / that I must now return to the mall tout de suite etc.) and purchased a recharge via Standard Bank's online banking.

Which generated an SMS message containing a token number (that would certainly have confused our ex-President) which, when input, was accepted by the system.

To quote the priest from my boarding-school daze: "Here endeth the lesson" <sigh>