Prevelance of Open Source in SA Business

hawker

Honorary Master
Hi all.
I am a matric IT student. As a result we are required to Complete 3 Major projects for the end of the year, one of which is a Research Project.

The topic of my research project is: The prevalence of Open Source Software, Operating Systems and Databases in South African Business.
I have already received responses but I need as many replies as possible to make the study truly representative.

I would appreciate it if you could perhaps complete this on behalf of the company you may work for, or perhaps someone that has a good idea of the IT structures in the company could answer the questionnaire.
All individual information gathered in this study will remain confidential but the results and aggregates will be disseminated. The outcome of this study will be made available to all participants.
Could you please email your responses to the address listed in the document.

Thank you very much for your time.
Regards

*I cant upload my document?* Help someone? - It says I may not post attachments.

Here is a link to where I managed to upload it:
Linky to .doc

Last edited:

nic777

Expert Member
I would like to take the survey and be really interested in seeing the report when its done.

If you can not find a place to upload it, then maybe contact me in PM via your email and then I will reply with my email addy and I can get it from there.

hawker

Honorary Master
I am having problems doing so. I have FileZilla FTP client installed.

*Nevermind, found a solution.*

Thanks for the positive response nic777.

Last edited:

Gnome

Executive Member
It would be interesting to see a anonymous survey of how many SA businesses plagiarize from OO software. I'm sure it happens and since most software developed in SA are never seen by anyone except the actual customer (server side applications/business type applications used internally to the business in question) who would know?

Quite the assignment tho, you in a public school?

hawker

Honorary Master
Well under the GPL one is free to sell the software, so long as the source code still remains avaliable. But that is an interesting point gnome.

No, I am an independent school.

Kasyx

Expert Member
I'm trying to download it but it just doesn't want to happen.

I will PM you my email address, send it to me and I will fill it out when I get to work on Monday.