Price cuts and speed upgrades from Openserve

richjdavies

Expert Member
People really think South Africa has the worst quality, overpriced internet in the world. Truth be told, our fibre networks are better than most in the globe if you look at the specs, price and speed. Sure we are like $20-30 more but the prices are coming down and the reliability is bloody amazing.
100% with you... Its truly FTTH with good competition going on. Just have Octotel coming on top of our existing Openserve. Without competition, Openserve would not be reducing wholesale prices like this.

Still though, if you think about it. They lay a piece of fibre and then get rent on it, pretty much forever. Its a nice business if you can keep competition out!

ghostRgg

Expert Member
100% with you... Its truly FTTH with good competition going on. Just have Octotel coming on top of our existing Openserve. Without competition, Openserve would not be reducing wholesale prices like this.

Still though, if you think about it. They lay a piece of fibre and then get rent on it, pretty much forever. Its a nice business if you can keep competition out!
Till you see the prices of equipment, datacentre rack space, trenching and bandwidth costs between networks and international transit. ROI is quite extensive...

ChuckNorris

RocketNet did send out a price update a week ago.

Pricing pretty much stayed the same, but asynchronous packages were falling away. If you were on them, you'd be bumped up to the sync package, which would cost more.

PackageMonthly Fee (Existing)Monthly Fee (1st March 2021)
Apollo 10/2R645.00Discontinued
Apollo 10/10R725.00R725.00
Apollo 20/2R825.00Discontinued
Apollo 20/20R895.00R895.00
Apollo 50/5R995.00Discontinued
Apollo 50/50R1,045.00R1,045.00
Apollo 100/10R1,195.00Discontinued
Apollo 100/100R1,245.00R1,245.00
Apollo 200/20R1,395.00Discontinued
Apollo 200/200R1,495.00R1,495.00
Apollo 1000/100R1,495.00R1,495.00
New pricing valid until February 2022

I see there is a new email saying that they are not upping the price anymore. I think RocketNet knew about the openserve upgrade and they tried to fool the public with first an increase and then later saying o no. We don't have to do it anymore.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I think they would charge you less. But going with how companies operate to maximize their profits, I guess they'd rather increase your speed and charge you the same as before. Just my opinion.
Well no they shouldn't charge less as its going to cost them more. Sure the line rentals will effectively half but there is the issue of the ISP's now needing to supply more data due to a faster connection.
Seeing as how everything is uncapped that means more cost to the ISP for IPC.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Well no they shouldn't charge less as its going to cost them more. Sure the line rentals will effectively half but there is the issue of the ISP's now needing to supply more data due to a faster connection.
Seeing as how everything is uncapped that means more cost to the ISP for IPC.
IMHO, it doesn't increase that much.

Cius

Executive Member
A question for those using Telkom as an ISP. My parents in law are signing up for Fibre and the R399 deal on Telkom's website for a 10/5 line seems the best deal right now however the MYBB article implies Telkom prices exclude VAT. Is that correct or is the article wrong and it is actually R399?

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Not as much as one would think, but if the line rental dropped by R50 (as an example) and every user now has double their speed, that R50 will probably just cover the bandwidth the users would be using when upgraded AFAIK.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
A question for those using Telkom as an ISP. My parents in law are signing up for Fibre and the R399 deal on Telkom's website for a 10/5 line seems the best deal right now however the MYBB article implies Telkom prices exclude VAT. Is that correct or is the article wrong and it is actually R399?

In the article, they talk about Openserve's wholesale pricing for ISP's, which usually doesn't include vat.
As a consumer, stick to the pricing you see on your ISP's (eg Telkom) website.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Remember when they doubled the speed of the lines for three months during lockdown? Well mine went for 40 to 100 and has not come down again (Invoice shows 50). Wonder if my 100 might go to 200 now :ROFL:

Last edited:

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Remember when they doubled the speed of the lines for three months during lockdown? Well mine went for 40 to 100 and has not come down again. Wonder if my 100 might go to 200 now :ROFL:
Ahem... can I have your address, ID and user account email. I promise I don't work for openserve or anything :rolleyes:

rodmur

I am on Supersonic via Vumatel. So what do I get ? nothing ?

Mampara

Great news. Now if only Vodacom along with Octotel can follow suit and give us better fibre speeds.

RocketNet-Rep

Company Rep
@Mampara great news is that Octotel have already bumped their 10Mbps service up to 15Mbps and they have bumped their 20Mbps to 30Mbps.

Budza

Executive Member
Remember when they doubled the speed of the lines for three months during lockdown? Well mine went for 40 to 100 and has not come down again (Invoice shows 50). Wonder if my 100 might go to 200 now :ROFL:

I had a "billing error" like that.

All lekker until they found out and mailed me to say they'd be adding the difference between the packages to my next bill. Was a few kZAR :oops:

Luckily I had an email where I asked for X but they gave me Y.

gboy

Expert Member
I am paying R699 for a 10 meg line.
sadv.png

I seems was the Old price, I was looking to upgrade when I noticed the 10/10 price has now become R729 instead of the R699 we/I am currently paying. This is really stupid if you compare the Prices quoted in the Article.

@AfriNatic Ping me, if the Double the Speed promo is still on for a Fiber such as this then we need to talk.

Last edited:

Forza

The consumer behavior might not change on face value but bandwidth will increase. Example being on 10Mbps watching 1080p but with the speed upgrade going 25Mbps the consumer will be watching 4k.

So you might not be downloading more for example but you will watch better quality videos "because you can"