Price cuts on ultra large screen TVs in South Africa

Botha22

Can't see the point of these Xtra-Super-Ultra-Mega-HD 32K TV's when the majority of entertainment is at most 1080. A 1080 Hisense for R3k has much better clarity on a 1080 stream than a fancy UHD Samsung for R30k with a kaka downscaled image, seen the comparison myself. Where you finding 4k sources? Select youtube videos? Netflix if you have the right device and the top package? Wake me up when sources match the display. Bring back the Plasmas with perfect scaling! Plasma was king.
That's strange. The TV is supposed to upscale the 1080p, so normally the 1080p stream should look better on a 4K TV than it does on 1080p TV.

Lupus

Honorary Master
These large brands should rather focus more on displays WITHOUT TV tuners and bringing their prices down.
So we can tell the SABC to tsek.

This, but for home cinema consumers.
Here in SA you'd end up paying more, thank the government for the surcharge tax.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Can't see the point of these Xtra-Super-Ultra-Mega-HD 32K TV's when the majority of entertainment is at most 1080. A 1080 Hisense for R3k has much better clarity on a 1080 stream than a fancy UHD Samsung for R30k with a kaka downscaled image, seen the comparison myself. Where you finding 4k sources? Select youtube videos? Netflix if you have the right device and the top package? Wake me up when sources match the display. Bring back the Plasmas with perfect scaling! Plasma was king.
What? Netflix and Prime have UHD content, Video games have 4k content, also the engines on these TVs upscale pretty well from 1080p, this isn't the old days where SD to HD looked crap thanks to the horrible engines. A lot of the HD content looks better on my 4k TVs then it did on the HD tvs they replaced. Perhaps you should take a look, also you can get some entry level 4k TVs that don't upscale very well.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Same panel without a tuner costs double compared one with a tuner.
Raises all kinds of questions .......
That's thanks to the taxes added by the government, cause how dare you bypass the TV license requirement. My freaking 32" monitor cost more then most 40" TVs.

grok

Honorary Master
I still have a 43 plasma in the bedroom, but it's too small for the room as the opposite wall is too far away. Priced a 70" LG at Hirsches for R15k last week. Tempted, but I want to install new kitchen tops, gas and a fireplace. Decisions decisions.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Lupus

Honorary Master
I need someone to explain exactly how this works :unsure:

This never explained it either.
You see a monitor could be used to watch TV on, so in the governments bright idea they added a 7% ad valorem tax to the monitor, anything over 22" I think

wireddreams

Damn... Just bought an Onkyo Sound system... One of these TVs will go well with it, but can only afford this in like 6 months or so... I'll wait

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That was Postmans favourite TV for years.
I know. Back in the day he was a major reason I got my first plasma and I loved it. It was the cheaper version of the one in the pic, 51" 768p non smart plasma. nice TV but it burnt it too quick so I ditched it for the Hisense D-LED and never looked back.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Not much model numbers in the article.

Prices on larger displays may have come down, but these are usually entry level models that lack in features compared to more expensive displays.

The choice then comes down to features vs. size. I'd rather go for a 65" that's better spec'd than a cheap 82". Others may feel differently.

But if you're going to mention gaming in the article, at least touch on this point considering the new consoles are optimised for HDMI 2.1 which most of these TVs don't support...

johnjm

Expert Member
Price cuts on large screen TVs in South Africa

South Africans can buy ultra large screen TVs at significantly reduced prices thanks to special promotions by top brands like Hisense, Samsung, and Sony.

These promotions are partly in response to the bigger demand for home entertainment systems amidst the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown.

The Samsung’s that’s are out now at those nice sizes have terrible slow interfaces at that price point. Same with the LGs.