Price Gouging - COVID-19

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
We all know this is going to happen and is probably happening already.
R25 Hand Sanitizer for R120, etc.
Lets start running a thread reporting any instances that we find. I know they are already starting to act on any shops or individuals caught raising prices.
(Moddies - please remove any post that is not on topic.)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
100% Name and shame..

Anyone caught price gouging should be dealt with harshly in my opinion... even to the point that the public should stop supporting them even after this crisis is over.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Lets start running a thread reporting any instances that we find. I know they are already starting to act on any shops or individuals caught raising prices.
They were probably R13 a month ago, I remember seeing Spar brand for that price and now it's sitting at R25 to R30 if you can find it.

Pitbull

Verboten
Not really price gouging, it's supply and demand principle.

Not that I think it's fair to increase prices given the circumstances, but if the demand is high and the supply low, prices increase.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Not really price gouging, it's supply and demand principle.

Not that I think it's fair to increase prices given the circumstances, but if the demand is high and the supply low, prices increase.
The Tennessee Attorney General disagrees

Pitbull

Verboten
The Tennessee Attorney General disagrees
Unfortunately, in a free market, you are free to charge what you want and people are free to buy somewhere else.

That being said, I have no idea how that applies to State of Disaster/Emergency. Rules might be completely different.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
100% Name and shame..

Anyone caught price gouging should be dealt with harshly in my opinion... even to the point that the public should stop supporting them even after this crisis is over.
They talked about this on 702 a day or two ago. Had a interview with a lady from the commerce council of SA or some such. She said price couging is not allowed and any retailers caught should be reported to I think she said the competition commission or something.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
They talked about this on 702 a day or two ago. Had a interview with a lady from the commerce council of SA or some such. She said price couging is not allowed and any retailers caught should be reported to I think she said the competition commission or something.
Reporting them is one thing...

I think the public also need to be very vocal about it when its found out, companies need to feel it where it counts, in their bottom line.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Loads of it on Takealot’s third party sellers.

Anyone buying it is an idiot though when you can get it at any store if you just stop the panic.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
FB is now pretty useless, everything is some schit about COVID. I've seen a few kunts comment on posts made by restaurants and other establishments asking whether they are sure that they have enough sanitizer, and that they could supply them TSEK.

daveza

Honorary Master
Loads of it on Takealot’s third party sellers.

Anyone buying it is an idiot though when you can get it at any store if you just stop the panic.

Takealot should be stopping those resellers same as Amazon did with the brothers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
And I could swear a pepper steak pie at PnP is now R1 more expensive than yesterday.

o_O
That is reasonable though if the case as there is probable lots of logistical cost increase to get that pie to you now.

MirageF1

Executive Member
And we shan't even start on the countless sellers crooks/thieves I've come across daily on FB with their no doubt illicitly obtained mob tower batteries being sold for a fraction of their real cost...