Price hike for South Africa Internet domains

quovadis

Expert Member
I suppose that ZACR has to pay for the flop of the 3x Cities (.joburg/.capetown/.durban) and 1x continent (.Africa- still to go live) gTLD domains somehow - $185,000 x4 for the applications must've hurt for a relatively poor response to date (10,000 domains vs 950,000+ .co.za domains). I'm struggling to understand though how a 20% increase on the legacy annual fees (R75->R90) or the EPP increase is fair or justified.

Bighit

Expert Member
Why the big increase, load shedding doesn't affect it, fuel price doesn't affect it? Maybe preparing for that xmas bonus...

Murmaider

Why the big increase, load shedding doesn't affect it, fuel price doesn't affect it? Maybe preparing for that xmas bonus...
Their pricing is not in line with other ccTLD's around the world.
They lowered the pricing initially to entice people to move their domains from legacy onto EPP.
Now they will slowly increase their price each year until it's in line with the rest of the worlds ccTLD's.

DavidP

Their pricing is not in line with other ccTLD's around the world.
They lowered the pricing initially to entice people to move their domains from legacy onto EPP.
Now they will slowly increase their price each year until it's in line with the rest of the worlds ccTLD's.
Yeah its way cheaper...

Let the bleating commence

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The prices they quote there, the R35 and the R45, that excluding VAT right?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Yeah, looks like excl. VAT.

EPP Wholesale
A wholesale fee is the annual per domain name fee that the ZACR charges its accredited
registrars for creates and renews. The current EPP wholesale fee for Co.za, Net.za, Org.za
and Web.za is R35 and is VAT exclusive. The ZACR has requested ZADNA to approve a new
EPP wholesale fee (as shown in Table 1 below) that is intended to apply over a 5 year period
starting from 2015. The proposed new fee is exclusive of VAT.
Legacy:
Co.za legacy fees are the fees that resellers or registrants pay to the ZACR for creating and
renewing Co.za registrations using the old legacy system. The current Co.za legacy fee is R65.78
and is VAT exclusive. The proposed adjustment should have the legacy fee being adjusted on
annual basis over a 5 year period as shown in Table 2, and is meant to encourage further
migration of Co.za registrations from the legacy system to the EPP registry system.

CuppaJoe

I am curious to know what they are doing with all the millions they are getting paid for this?

Sounds like a good place to be to basically do admin work, which could even be mostly automated at this point.

Murmaider

I am curious to know what they are doing with all the millions they are getting paid for this?

Sounds like a good place to be to basically do admin work, which could even be mostly automated at this point.
Uniforum used to be a non-profit organisation, I am not sure since they changed to ZACR.

CuppaJoe

Uniforum used to be a non-profit organisation, I am not sure since they changed to ZACR.
Who is then receiving all the money that you pay for the registration and renewals?

I have been paying Uniforum for this all these years.

http://co.za/banking.shtml

Update:

Aha, I see they are investing at least some of the funds back into the community.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/433529-UniForum-SA

Using those stats they are receiving (very) roughly R30-Million/year using a number of R50/domain which it cost back then.

Last edited:

ambo

Expert Member
Who is then receiving all the money that you pay for the registration and renewals?
They obviously spend some of it on operational costs like salaries and equipment to run the registry.

They contribute to the the runnning costs of the zaDNA and also contribute significant funding to social development projects like ICT training for teachers.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I see on the ZACR news board that the price change is still on the 16th of Feb :/ Where do you see the information that that will only be on the 1st of march?

EDIT: nevermind, found it.