Primary school principal suspended for 'lowering pupil into pit toilet' to retrieve dropped cellphone

schumi

Honorary Master
R2 500 bail for principal who forced pupil to search faeces-filled pit toilet for his cellphone

Cape Town - The principal of an Eastern Cape primary school has appeared in the Tsolo Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday on a charge of child abuse after he allegedly forced a pupil to search for his missing cellphone in a faeces-filled pit toilet.

The 49-year-old man was granted bail of R2 500.

On March 1, the principal of Luthuthu Junior Secondary School, in the Joe Gqabi district, allegedly told an 11-year-old pupil to search for his cellphone which had fallen into the toilet.

He is believed to have enlisted the help of other pupils to tie a rope around the child and lower the him into the pit to retrieve the device.

The Department of Basic Education had to provide psycho-social assistance to the pupil, family members and staff members who were traumatised by the incident.

More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...ellphone-007be687-e8c5-4fd6-8049-193072e28e96

diesel

Expert Member
Seems to be a pretty big thing.
Was front page yesterday, all over radio news, twitter and what have you. Not sure how big you want it.
Pin drop compared to what it would be had the principal been a white guy lowering a black student into the toilet.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I don't see the problem. Sure some kids fall into these toilets and die but this is completely different and nobody died. People really seem to struggle with context.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
People do shít jobs sometimes.

Good for the kid on getting R50, the only problem I think is he could have gotten more.
So you wouldn't have had deep concerns with a principal lowering your kid into a pit toilet, with little else in the form of safety?

rietrot

Honorary Master
So you wouldn't have had deep concerns with a principal lowering your kid into a pit toilet, with little else in the form of safety?
Proof that there was no or little concern for safety or that the kids life was in danger.

I would only have a problem if it wasn't voluntary.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Proof that there was no or little concern for safety or that the kids life was in danger.

I would only have a problem if it wasn't voluntary.
According to the article, there was no adult supervision. The lowering "harness" was a rope tied under his armpits. He could have easily slipped out of it. He was lowered into what can be classified as confined space without necessary protocols followed. This being a rural school, I have doubts about whether there are people trained in basic rescue as well as first aid.

rietrot

Honorary Master
According to the article, there was no adult supervision. The lowering "harness" was a rope tied under his armpits. He could have easily slipped out of it. He was lowered into what can be classified as confined space without necessary protocols followed. This being a rural school, I have doubts about whether there are people trained in basic rescue as well as first aid.
So there was an adult present and he did have a make shift safely harness. I don't see the problem.

It sounds like you are just speaking from a position of privilege where you always had money to either hire someone for something and never had to do any unpleasant fiscal work by yourself.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
So there was an adult present and he did have a make shift safely harness. I don't see the problem.

It sounds like you are just speaking from a position of privilege where you always had money to either hire someone for something and never had to do any unpleasant fiscal work by yourself.
I asked if you'd allow a principal to send your kid down a pit toilet.

I've never had to retrieve a phone from inside a pit toilet or any toilet for that matter. I do my own property basic maintenance.

I would never send a kid down a pit toilet if I ever drop my phone in there. If it's worth the effort, I'd do it myself.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I asked if you'd allow a principal to send your kid down a pit toilet.

I've never had to retrieve a phone from inside a pit toilet or any toilet for that matter. I do my own property basic maintenance.

I would never send a kid down a pit toilet if I ever drop my phone in there. If it's worth the effort, I'd do it myself.
Well see. You just don't have the necessary lived experience and are purely commentating from a position of privilege.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Well see. You just don't have the necessary lived experience and are purely commentating from a position of privilege.
I asked if you'd allow your kid to be lowered into a pit toilet using a crude harness. You're dancing around the question.

I grew up in an environment where we did everything for ourselves. If by privilege you mean being taught to do things myself from a young age, then you're correct.

R13...

Honorary Master
Pin drop compared to what it would be had the principal been a white guy lowering a black student into the toilet.
Are you feeling left out? Go lower some black child into a toilet while your mates record it to generate the hype you obviously miss.

surface

Honorary Master
why would a white person do anything like this? Aren't you all superior & identical in morals ?