Private estates making big money from speeding fines

mattrudlles

I am not condoning speeding within a residential area.

I am just surprised that a, private entity can lawfully acquire speed cameras etc & issue fines.

Everything seems to be outsourced in this country. Even the role of the metro police it seems.

Telkom >>Fibre
Public hospital >>private
Public schools>>private
SAPO >>courier
Home Affairs >>Banks
Metro Police >> Private Estates
Nothing wrong with issuing speeding fines legally. Where a sectional title has it in its rules that speeding drivers will be fined, and they have the apparatus to prove that speeding took place it is fine.

P924

Expert Member
I am just surprised that a, private entity can lawfully acquire speed cameras etc & issue fines.
It is mostly about enforcing a rule that you contractually agreed to adhere to when you buy property in an estate. The owner is also responsible for his guests obeying the rule.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

Everything seems to be outsourced in this country. Even the role of the metro police it seems.

Telkom >>Fibre
Public schools>>private
SAPO >>courier
Home Affairs >>Banks
Yeah fair enough, it was such a pain for me when I was chairman of a body corporate. Having to deal with people constantly speeding was a nightmare. The speedbumps only helped with normal cars, the bakkies just drove over them at full speed.

Then you would get all the excitement of people coming to complain when a cat had been hit etc.
So glad I moved out of there into a normal house.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Question, if estates are able to issue fines on estate roads which are private, what happens if you don't pay them?
Added to your levy. Your guest’s fine, as they signed in with your address, will also be added to your levy.

Happy Days

Just do the following:
Justice Project South Africa (JPSA) chairman Howard Dembosky previously said motorists can ask to see the calibration certificate for the speed measuring equipment used when they are pulled over for speeding.

You may also ask to see the operator’s certificate for the person operating the speed measuring equipment.

In addition to certificates specific to speed measurement, a motorist may also ask to see the officer’s appointment certificate as a peace officer.

Dembovsky emphasised that should you choose to request these certificates, you must remain polite at all times.

“If any one of them is not produced, don’t get into an argument about it, simply note it for your defence,” said Dembovsky.
Let's see how far the HOA will get then.

chefdude98

Expert Member
Some of you need to drive thru areas in Cape Town like : Parklands, Buh Rein Estate, Royal Ascot & Burgundy Estate.

The developers are playing Sim City in real life.

Brand new complexes pop up every 6 months. It is like Lego, that **** is built overnight.

It predominantly consists of the rental market & people are moving in & out constantly.

It is very difficult or borderline impossible to police in these type of areas.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Just do the following:

It is not cops doing the speed trapping. As far as I know, they dont even have speed measuring equipment. Its klein mannetjie syndrome people who "eye-ball" speed then just add it to your monthly account.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Just do the following:

You send your equipment to the CSIR for calibration. Does not matter who you are, if you pay the fee, your equipment gets calibrated, with certificate. Be it speed, temperature, pressure etc. It is a calibration/certification lab, not a police department.

Electron1

Expert Member
And these Private Estates are probably also violating the POPI act and privacy rules by scanning the driver's licences and Licence discs of private drivers and vehicles. You can't tell me that data is secure and being used for the correct purposes in every instance.
I often wonder about this.
Under POPI you are entitled to request for what purpose your details are required, what will be done with your details, who will have access to the details and lastly the details should be destroyed once they are no longer needed.
Try asking the security team at the entrance to an estate any of these questions.
Good luck getting any reasonable answer.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Under POPI you are entitled to request for what purpose your details are required, what will be done with your details, who will have access to the details and lastly the details should be destroyed once they are no longer needed.
Try asking the security team at the entrance to an estate any of these questions.
Good luck getting in, when they dont have answers and you refuse to allow them to scan and take your details.

RonSwanson

Expert Member

Telkom >>Fibre
Public schools>>private
SAPO >>courier
Home Affairs >>Banks
Public Prosecution >> Afriforum

mikef

Expert Member
Note however that they are not entitled to fine the driver (unless the owner was the driver) - their right is a contractual right against the owner of the property. It is unlikely that the owner would have any right of recovery against a visitor, the owners right of recovery against tenants would be based on the rental contract.

mattrudlles

POPI is not in force so we can't use that against them yet. Also, number plate numbers would be public, not private information too.

chefdude98

Expert Member
Added to your levy. Your guest’s fine, as they signed in with your address, will also be added to your levy.
Does the owner absorb the fines of the tenant?

It becomes an unattractive proposition for both owner & tenant

Should registration details be included in a lease? Should the registration details of tenant's guests also be included in a lease?

mattrudlles

Another thing people don't realise is that a BC cannot just add a fine to your levy statement without your consent.

mattrudlles

Does the owner absorb the fines of the tenant?

It becomes an unattractive proposition for both owner & tenant

Should registration details be included in a lease? Should the registration details of tenant's guests also be included in a lease?
That is a really good idea.