Private estates making big money from speeding fines

Lupus

Honorary Master
ive never seen speed trap equipment in a private estate, speed signs yes.
Go look at Jackal Creek, Featherbrooke Estate, Zimbali and Eagle Canyon they've all got cameras and often tell you the speed you're going.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Although the views against speeding in a residential area are admirable, the practicalities and other complications with regards the right of private estates being able to raise speeding fines are dangerous.
As this right only exists between contracting parties, consider the position if a delivery driver exceeds the limit when visiting your house – would you be happy to accept responsibility to pay such fine? What legal right would you have to recover from the delivery driver or his employer (hint – most likely none).

For a good analysis of some of the additional issues I would recommend reviewing the following link:
https://www.insurancechat.co.za/201...gated-communities-sets-a-dangerous-precedent/
Well, when Howard Dembovsky (and whomever else has issue with this) has forced municipalities to do frequent and effective speed trapping in estates (and preferably all over), these other issues raised by estates doing it would be solved. The aholes insist on speeding everywhere, and the municipalities don't do their jobs, so now it is how it is.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The one upside of these estates having these stupidly low speed limits is that you can drive without really paying any attention. If you hear a thud and your car bounces a couple of times you know you've driven over somebody. The car should be fine though.

access

Honorary Master
Go look at Jackal Creek, Featherbrooke Estate, Zimbali and Eagle Canyon they've all got cameras and often tell you the speed you're going.
well then, those all seem up country. the ppl in cpt a bit more laid back. :p

if they were concerned about safety speed bumps would be more effective though surely. cameras dont slow cars down..

Ponderer

Expert Member

if they were concerned about safety speed bumps would be more effective though surely. cameras dont slow cars down..
Camera's don't slow down cars.
Its the fines that slow down the drivers of the cars.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master

5 pages in, and we have a winner. Its about money. Nothing to do with safety.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No we don't, only an outrageous speed bump slows me down. Being made to pay a fine, my pocket hurt makes me stay within speed limit (besides being a law abiding citizen I already do, think last fine I got was 2012)

Ponderer

Expert Member
Are you actually trying to be stupid?
How is it possible that you cannot understand that its not about money - that it has everything to do with safety.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
How can you possibly not understand that its not about money - that it has everything to do with safety.
How could I be trying to be stupid when you have so clearly mastered it. Get your head out your ass.

access

Honorary Master
How is it possible that you cannot understand that its not about money - that it has everything to do with safety.
lets play pretend.

you have a kid in school where they cross the road to get to the sports field.

would you rather have a speed bump forcing cars to slow down at the crossing, or a camera taking pictures of cars not slowing down over the crossing.

which one is more safe.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
lets play pretend.

would you rather have a speed bump forcing cars to slow down at the crossing, or a camera taking pictures of cars not slowing down over the crossing.

which one is more safe.
Good tactic. Dumb it down. :)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
lets play pretend.

which one is more safe.
A combnation of both? I easily go over speedbumps at 60km/h in the middle of a road (I slow down at mini circle or such ones, but not for the speedbumps, but because I know the risks). If I was a rule breaking speeder, I might go over them faster.

Then you get the bunch that complain about speedbumps messing up their suspension and such.[/QUOTE]