Private security and police prepare on reports planned insurrection on 23 August

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Yup. Not sure why @Jan and co continue to peddle such misinformation.
We have a source in intelligence that's corroborated the information, including the existence of the document. We haven't yet seen the document ourselves, hence the reference back to Netwerk24.

Completely understand your skepticism. One has to ask how/why the document got leaked.

My pet theory is that it got out to journalists to help avert/dissuade the attack, but it could be for any reason. Impossible to know without the benefit of hindsight.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I'd still like to know why there would be a document, since when has there been such a nice and planned way of doing things? Also if you were planning something like this, you'd not have a document or send it to the people you want to insurrect.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I'd still like to know why there would be a document, since when has there been such a nice and planned way of doing things? Also if you were planning something like this, you'd not have a document or send it to the people you want to insurrect.
Oh, I'm referring to the intelligence report regarding the attacks.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Even that, if they have the intel, why not just go and stop it now? Why wait?
Same reason you have to wait for the drug dealer to actually hand over the goods and take the cash before arresting them, maybe?

Trying to build a case against / catch everyone involved and not just nail lieutenants.

Also they might not know enough to stop the thing before it happens, or stop them from changing the date, hence the preparations.

Pure speculation on my part, though.

More speculation — intelligence could have fed media the wrong the date (or other details) to make the insurrectionists think the security cluster has the wrong end of the stick again.

Spooks use misinformation like that all the time. Example: I remember reading that the rumour that Bin Laden was on dialysis was misinformation planted by the CIA to help sift through false reports of his location.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so it it all rumors at this point?

they initially said Zumas trial, and now that nothing happened then,
oh, lets keep people on their toes, lets do it on the 23'rd

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
so it it all rumors at this point?
Wasn't 9/11 just a rumour until the day of the attack?

All we know is that police and security are treating it as a credible threat.

Maybe they stop it, maybe the insurrectionists alter their plans, maybe it still happens.

Since none of us know the future all we have to go on is the information at hand now.

I'm sure after Monday everyone will be very wise about what could have, should have been said and done in the days leading up to it.

ProfA

Honorary Master
I wish a motherfcker would try to loot my house or throw a stone at my car. "your honour, I was merely trying to stop and imminent and/or ongoing attack on myself, someone else or a legally protected interest".

JohnMao

Executive Member
Ready for action — Against the plot to bring South Africa to its knees on 23 August

Private security firms like Fidelity are ready to support the South African Police Service (SAPS) if there is another outbreak of public violence.

Wahl Bartmann, CEO of Fidelity Services Group, said his national Joint Operations Centre (JOC), which was set up during the devastating riots in July, is liaising closely with all the relevant authorities.
Besides a rugby legend, has this been verified by the cops themselves at all?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
If this insurrection threat manifests there's little that the government can do to curb it. Not after seeing how impotent they were during the KZN riots.

eg2505

Honorary Master

Maybe they stop it, maybe the insurrectionists alter their plans, maybe it still happens.

Since none of us know the future all we have to go on is the information at hand now.

I'm sure after Monday everyone will be very wise about what could have, should have been said and done in the days leading up to it.
I'm not gonna go down the deep hole of 9/11 conspiracies,:cool:

but again, if every semi-credible rumor was followed up on, the police could never respond to an ACTUAL event.
they would be spread too thin.

same thing here, was there a rumor on the looting and violence that we actually had?
no not likely, so again, do you really believe they will announce to the world, were looting on this day...

again, its all conjecture at this point in time, will it/wont it.

Budza

Executive Member
Poll

:)

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Any of this kak planned for CPT?

My calendar is pretty full on Monday...but I can move some stuff around.

• Haha
Reactions: Jan

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just got home from Kempton Park. Loads of police presence on the roads and stationed on the on and off ramps