Probable Gautrain strike, Monday 30 July

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Following wage negotiations between the operator of the Gautrain, the Bombela Operating Company (“BOC”), and the recognised trade union, UNTU, a deadlock was declared and UNTU has issued a notice of its intention to commence strike action on Monday, 30 July 2018.
UNTU rejected both offers tabled by BOC at the CCMA on Tuesday 17 July 2018, as outlined below:

• An increase of 7% across the board (on basic salary and allowances), plus medical aid contribution of 50%, plus a collective bonus target of R8.000 per employee per year [which equates to an overall increase of the bargaining unit of 8,6%]

OR

• an increase of 8,5% across the board (on basic salary and allowances), plus medical aid contribution of 55% but without a bonus [equates to an overall increase of the bargaining unit of 8,4%].

UNTU is demanding:
• an increase of 10% on basic salary plus an increase of 113% on housing allowance (from R750 to R1.600), plus a new transport allowance of R800 for non-shift workers, plus an increase of 101% on night work transport subsidy (from R31,84 to R64 per shift), plus a 10% increase on night shift allowance, plus a medical aid contribution at 55/45, and a R20.000 bonus per employee per year [equates to an overall increase of the bargaining unit of 19,6%].

BOC remains open to further negotiations and is hopeful that a settlement can be reached before the strike commences. To this end, BOC requested a meeting with UNTU on Thursday, 26 July 2018 at 14h00.
We will confirm on Friday, 27 July 2018, if strike action will commence on Monday, 30 July 2018.
In the event of a strike, the bus and midi-bus services should not be impacted. We will endeavour to implement a reduced train service depending on available resources; and passengers will be informed accordingly over the course of the weekend. During this time, the safety and security of our passengers will remain a key priority and will not be compromised.

- Gautrain spokesperson

surface

Expert Member
These 2 seem reasonable costs
housing allowance (from R750 to R1.600) -
plus a new transport allowance of R800 for non-shift workers

Taking chance with this one.
a R20.000 bonus per employee per year

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

No, they're not reasonable...

They're ridiculous increases...

Pay these guys a basic salary and stop with the "allowances"...

Sinbad

Honorary Master

They're demanding a 20% increase overall. Bull****.

ambroseg1

Executive Member

Could you perhaps explain how a 100%+ increase in one allowance, and getting a brand new allowance is even remotely a reasonable request?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Could you perhaps explain how a 100%+ increase in one allowance, and getting a brand new allowance is even remotely a reasonable request?
Also, an R800 transport allowance for non-shift workers..

Lets unpack that...

non-shift workers means the guys working a normal day (8am - 5pm more than likely).. so now they are saying the company must pay these guys an allowance to get to work? Fsck that for a joke.

surface

Expert Member
You are insane if you think those requests are reasonable.
Come on man. Our maid pays 1100 rent in thembisa. Gautrain workers probably live in better accommodation - do you think 1600 rands is unreasonable? Ditto with 800 rands transport - we pay her approx 850 rands per month for transport. These costs seem reasonable to me.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Come on man. Our maid pays 1100 rent in thembisa. Gautrain workers probably live in better accommodation - do you think 1600 rands is unreasonable? Ditto with 800 rands transport - we pay her approx 850 rands per month for transport. These costs seem reasonable to me.
Since when should your entire housing cost be subsidised?
That's what your salary is for.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Does your company provide you an allowance to cover your transport and housing?

Knyro

Honorary Master
To be fair this is how wage negotiations usually start. Start with some obviously unreasonable BS demands (even if you know they're BS) then negotiate down to what you probably wanted in the first place.

surface

Expert Member
Does your company provide you an allowance to cover your transport and housing?
I am lucky enough to be in top 5% income earners just like most of myBB members if I look at many threads here. I contract per hour so that covers everything. I doubt if their basic salary is that much to cover housing & transport but I stand to be corrected.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I am lucky enough to be in top 5% income earners just like most of myBB members if I look at many threads here. I contract per hour so that covers everything. I doubt if their basic salary is that much to cover housing & transport but I stand to be corrected.
So then through all that waffle, the answer is no?

Deadmanza

Executive Member
What makes them think they are entitled to these allowances at all???

The fact that they receive ANY housing allowance is something they should be grateful for. I don't receive a housing allowance?

ambroseg1

Executive Member
:crylaugh: wait....so if your salary isn't enough to cover housing and transport, you should demand it as an allowance? WTF?

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Also, an R800 transport allowance for non-shift workers..

Lets unpack that...

non-shift workers means the guys working a normal day (8am - 5pm more than likely).. so now they are saying the company must pay these guys an allowance to get to work? Fsck that for a joke.
Even if they worked 1AM to 3AM crap shifts. Since when is it an employers responsibility to pay for your transport costs as a separate allowance. Especially since you were happy to accept the job without said allowance.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Even if they worked 1AM to 3AM crap shifts. Since when is it an employers responsibility to pay for your transport costs as a separate allowance. Especially since you were happy to accept the job without said allowance.
I tend to agree with you..

BUT I can partially buy a shift allowance for weird shift time employees.... since transport is more expensive at those times...