Problem: E220 VMC-Lite vpclog.txt - huge file clogging hard drive

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
Didnt think this deserved its own thread:
is there any way to stop the vpclog text file from being created in my documents, mine is 47mb after 45 days so i'd imagine it would get rather big. Otherwise can it just be deleted when it gets too big & let it create another one?

Smurfatefrog

Expert Member
Didnt think this deserved its own thread:
is there any way to stop the vpclog text file from being created in my documents, mine is 47mb after 45 days so i'd imagine it would get rather big. Otherwise can it just be deleted when it gets too big & let it create another one?
I deleted it on Saturday & now its grown to 312mb in 2 days! How can i stop this log being created :confused:

Kraliv

VPCLOG.txt

I deleted it on Saturday & now its grown to 312mb in 2 days! How can i stop this log being created :confused:

Hi,

I found this:

"I had the same problem as you. I have Vodafone USB Huawei modem, so i think your problem it’s the same as mine. I fixed the problem by :

1st:
Delete the file (after this, the file is created automatically if the net is ON) to reduce it’s size

2nd:
Set it’s property to read-only (by doing this, the program can´t write to the file anymore).

I’ve just tried to do this minutes ago, so I don’t know what it’s going to happen in the future. At least the file isn’t growing anymore .

cheers,
Joao"

Iam3G

Expert Member

Oh my God i didnt even realise this file existed until now. And i just read through this thread out of curiousities sake lol. and they say curiousity killed the cat? It saved my life :D

The file on my Laptop is almost 1.2Gig big. This could possible explain why my PC has slowed down so much after i had used VMCLite.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Does the generic Huawei software also produce a similar file? (I use my E220 on my home pc and I'm at work now, so I can't check :eek: )

Highroller

Modem : e220
firmware: E220Update_11.110.05.00.00(3.6M Vista)

I searched the forum and found one person asked about this previously with only a stop gap solution so...

Is there any way to stop the vpclog text file from being created in my documents folder!?

And if you were to set it to read only would this cause any sort of problem?

thanks much! 3g newbie :)

polar

"Is there any way to stop the vpclog text file from being created in my documents folder!?"

Yes there is. the reason that the log file is created (and grows like a tape worm) is that the development guys at Huawei left the "use_logging" registry key set to 1 rather that 0 before shipping the modems (I am guessing this was an error). Anyway to fix it (assuming you are using Windows XP):

Click on Start and then click on Run...(usually bottom right)
enter : 'regedit' and click OK
the registry editor window will open, it looks like a file explorer window (btw do not go mucking about in here unless you really know what you are doing)
expand the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER
expand the folder Software
expand the folder Vodafone
click on folder VCMLite
in the right hand window double click on 'use_logging' (about 2/3 of the way down the list)
the Edit DWord Value window will open
Change the Value Data: setting from '1' to '0' and click OK
close the Registry Editor by clicking the top right red cross
go back into My documents folder and delete the Vpclog.txt file

You are done. logging turned off and file deleted.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
"Is there any way to stop the vpclog text file from being created in my documents folder!?"

Yes there is. the reason that the log file is created (and grows like a tape worm) is that the development guys at Huawei left the "use_logging" registry key set to 1 rather that 0 before shipping the modems (I am guessing this was an error). Anyway to fix it (assuming you are using Windows XP):

Click on Start and then click on Run...(usually bottom right)
enter : 'regedit' and click OK
the registry editor window will open, it looks like a file explorer window (btw do not go mucking about in here unless you really know what you are doing)
expand the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER
expand the folder Software
expand the folder Vodafone
click on folder VCMLite
in the right hand window double click on 'use_logging' (about 2/3 of the way down the list)
the Edit DWord Value window will open
Change the Value Data: setting from '1' to '0' and click OK
close the Registry Editor by clicking the top right red cross
go back into My documents folder and delete the Vpclog.txt file

You are done. logging turned off and file deleted.

Thanks, will add to to the FAQ.