Proposed Wild Coast Toll Road plan scrapped

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The SA National Roads Agency Limited has scrapped plans to construct a toll-road on the N2 Wild Coast Highway, it emerged on Tuesday.

Chairman of the provincial transport portfolio committee Mxolisi Kaunda said a decision not to construct a toll-road in Isipingo was taken at a recent strategic meeting in Cape Town.

Kaunda said KwaZulu-Natal was already over-tolled and adding more toll-roads would "overburden" the province.

The proposed N2 Wild Coast toll-road was supposed to stretch from the Gonubie interchange near East London, Eastern Cape, to the Isipingo interchange, south of Durban.

Transport MEC Willies Mchunu welcomed the decision.

Placing a toll road in Isipingo would have had a negative impact on poor communities and workers from the South Coast who commuted to Durban or Isipingo daily, he said.

"As the government we have always said that putting more toll-gates in the Durban area will cause further financial hardship for commuters and slow down economic growth."

Source : Sapa /ns/hdw/dd/jk
Date : 14 May 2013 16:00

pezulu

Expert Member
Kaunda said KwaZulu-Natal was already over-tolled and adding more toll-roads would "overburden" the province.

Placing a toll road in Isipingo would have had a negative impact on poor communities and workers from the South Coast who commuted to Durban or Isipingo daily, he said.

"As the government we have always said that putting more toll-gates in the Durban area will cause further financial hardship for commuters and slow down economic growth."

Source : Sapa /ns/hdw/dd/jk
Date : 14 May 2013 16:00

Are there no poor communities making use of the Gauteng e-toll roads?

How can the guavament say that putting more toll-gates in ... will cause further financial hardship for commuters and slow down economic growth, when they are pushing through plans to implement e-tolling sooner rather than later?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Wild Coast toll road plan scrapped

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/wild-coast-toll-road-plan-scrapped-1.1515972

Roads agency Sanral has scrapped plans to construct a toll-road on the N2 Wild Coast Highway, it emerged on Tuesday.

Chairman of the provincial transport portfolio committee Mxolisi Kaunda said a decision not to construct a toll-road was taken at a recent strategic meeting in Cape Town.

Kaunda said KwaZulu-Natal was already over-tolled and adding more toll-roads would “overburden” the province.

The proposed N2 Wild Coast toll-road was supposed to stretch from the Gonubie interchange near East London, Eastern Cape, to the Isipingo interchange, south of Durban.

Transport MEC Willies Mchunu welcomed the decision.

“As the government we have always said that putting more toll-gates in the Durban area will cause further financial hardship for commuters and slow down economic growth.” -Sapa

Creag

The Boar's Rock
“As the government we have always said that putting more toll-gates in the Durban area will cause further financial hardship for commuters and slow down economic growth.

So what about Joburg and Pretoria? Are we chopped liver? :mad:

Cool E

Expert Member
Good Idea from our government.

Wish they can delay PTA/JHB toll till 2015

Stickfigure

Executive Member
So what about Joburg and Pretoria? Are we chopped liver? :mad:

I was always under the impression that the only reason people live in JHB is because the jobs are better paying than everywhere else in SA.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They had no option but to back down on this one....

The residents in the area would have burnt everyone at SANRAL at the stake quite literally. KZN is the most heavily tolled province as far as I know, so another toll was not going to be accepted.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Must be close to voting season - I'll push for it in the Cape.

F

Fudzy

I was always under the impression that the only reason people live in JHB is because the jobs are better paying than everywhere else in SA.

Me too, why bother otherwise?

It felt it was odd there were a lot less toll gates going South than there are going North.