Protection of Personal Information gets presidential nod

RanzB

Honorary Master
A grace period for companies of one year from the date of commencement is also expected, Michalsons said, effectively giving them 18 months to ensure all their information processing complies with POPI.

It is possible that the grace period could be extended once for a further three years, Michalsons said, but encouraged anyone affected to act now to ensure compliance.

Pada

Executive Member
I haven't read the actual bill, but it sounds like a good idea for all companies except perhaps for marketing companies who wants to give our your info...

Venomous

Honorary Master
I haven't read the actual bill, but it sounds like a good idea for all companies except perhaps for marketing companies who wants to give our your info...

erm.... uhm

marketing companies buy client lists from banks and retail stores.

so the store loses cash and the marketing company gets less numbers to cold call.

and unlike in our parents younger days, when telkom had directories to search.... there are no directories for mobile numbers. With mobile numbers being in the majority today, guess which numbers marketing people want.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
erm.... uhm

so the store loses cash and the marketing company gets less numbers to cold call.

and unlike in our parents younger days, when telkom had directories to search.... there are no directories for mobile numbers. With mobile numbers being in the majority today, guess which numbers marketing people want.

Good!

nand

Ha! Smell corruption brewing

4. This Act does not apply to the processing of personal information—
(a) in the course of a purely personal or household activity;
(b) that has been de-identified to the extent that it cannot be re-identified again;
(c) by or on behalf of the State and—
(i) which involves national security, defence or public safety
(ii) the purpose of which is the prevention, investigation or proof of offences,
the prosecution of offenders or the execution of sentences or security
measures,
to the extent that adequate safeguards have been established in specific
legislation for the protection of such personal information;
(d) for exclusively journalistic purposes by responsible parties who are subject to,
by virtue of office, employment or profession, a code of ethics that provides
adequate safeguards for the protection of personal information;
(e) by Cabinet and its committees, the Executive Council of a province and a
Municipal Council of a municipality;
(f) relating to the judicial functions of a court referred to in section 166 of the
Constitution; or

^--- excerpt: http://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/bills/B9-2009_ProtectionofPersonalInformation.pdf

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

There are various limitations set on data, especially hosting (which entails every online service).

- Google Apps
- MS 365

Our company already attended various workshops related with POPI, where the above two products had their representatives. Currently they are still not planning to be in 100% compliance with the law, as SA do have various restrictions to do global rollouts. There are still 6 months to announce the POPI commencing date and a year (which can possible be extended up to 3 years) to become 100% POPI compliance.

There are numerous other companies which is not 100% compliance. How many datacentres in SA are SAP approved?

Changes are happening, we already started investing 6 months ago to be 100% compliance in order to be POPI launch ready.

Dr Who

This has been a long time coming, however when I was in the industry it seemed that while it did offer protection our legal adviser indicated that it was not as much as society expected.

Let the fun and games begin...... ( Glad I am not impacted directly anymore )

Venomous

Honorary Master

but be careful.

l fear the bill is a front to hide our SA Elite cadre behind, so their already questionable dealings can occur with greater ease.

It is also clearly stated that should the gauvamint suspect a national security threat, you lose all rights to privacy. I suspect this fine print also needs further investigation.

Personally I would not trust the proposed law.

ant_man

Expert Member
erm.... uhm

What many people don't realise is that Direct Marketing is a cost affective Sales Channel
With this channel being regulated like it will be the cost of goods will in affect increase as companies will be using new sales channels which cost considerably more than current.

Venomous

Honorary Master
What many people don't realise is that Direct Marketing is a cost affective Sales Channel
With this channel being regulated like it will be the cost of goods will in affect increase as companies will be using new sales channels which cost considerably more than current.

My pesonal opinion:

I trust the proposed etag laws more than the above.
At least the etag setup tells you to bend without lube, they are just trying to hide by how much you will get unceremoniously shafted out of your cash.

And no, I will not buy an etag

nand

There are various limitations set on data, especially hosting (which entails every online service).

- Google Apps
- MS 365

Our company already attended various workshops related with POPI, where the above two products had their representatives. Currently they are still not planning to be in 100% compliance with the law, as SA do have various restrictions to do global rollouts. There are still 6 months to announce the POPI commencing date and a year (which can possible be extended up to 3 years) to become 100% POPI compliance.

There are numerous other companies which is not 100% compliance. How many datacentres in SA are SAP approved?

Changes are happening, we already started investing 6 months ago to be 100% compliance in order to be POPI launch ready.
Could you perhaps provide more information about the limitations on warehousing data? I'm sure others(and me) will appreciate it. =)

Petec

Expert Member
*get's in before Popi comes a calling*

Dear forum users,
This is NOT a sales call... I promise *flutters eyelashes*
It would be great if I could take a moment to talk to you about some of our latest.... blah, blah, bah

Nick333

Honorary Master
erm.... uhm

And, so? Are all revenue streams allowable because they are revenue streams?

Johand

Expert Member
This is a good law and it was extremely urgent for international trade. As far as I understand we need this law to do business process outsourcing from the EU to South Africa. ( because their privacy laws place some requirements on the legal framework of the country you outsource to).

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Could you perhaps provide more information about the limitations on warehousing data? I'm sure others(and me) will appreciate it. =)

Generally this is a positive implementation which will also speed up certain progresses within our broadband and hosting spectrum. You should notice that content delivery is on the rise in SA, especially noting it in-detail. Europe have largely similar laws.

Your question I cannot answer at this time, but Michalsons who do now have presence on MyBB should be able to properly advice on these legal concerns. Perhaps MyBB can ask them to provide in-depth detail entailing POPI in regard with data (and availability), SA customers, SA citizens, global-scalability, to be noted with B2B principles.

In our company we do however have one concern, which is yet unanswered and that is Federation Services (global scale), also with SA clients who do have global located sites.

I mentioned two companies, whom is rolling out services in SA with a very large smile. What will happen with MS and Google should they not be within compliance when the time comes? Who will be held responsible, the customer or the provider(s)? Our own company stopped rolling out these services (Azure / 365 and Google Apps) within SA, until the matter and/or concern is clear.