PS5 South African pricing has been revealed

Gazg

Yes they do, but that's the problem.

When it's imported to South Africa, the importer pays import duties and VAT on their wholesale price.

If you were to pay retail price, you will pay VAT and taxes on the higher retail price. Which means you will pay an even higher rate of VAT and taxes. Does that make sense?
It does, but surely the overseas vat portion is taken off and the overseas retail store mark up and we pick up the vat here when its imported, at a lower rate than the UK? 20% v 15%
I just feel we are getting ripped here bt.

Vuilhaas

It does, but surely the overseas vat portion is taken off and the overseas retail store mark up and we pick up the vat here when its imported, at a lower rate than the UK? 20% v 15%
I just feel we are getting ripped here bt.
As far as I know, no. You declare the value of the item, which is what you paid for it, and they calculate based on that figure. Customs aren't that kind unfortunately :ROFL:

I know it sucks, but it also makes sense for them to do so. If it was always cheaper for people to import, then nobody would buy locally, which hurts the economy.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
We should create a 50+ page thread where we pit people who like to get shafted against those who don't, we should also assume that shipping is still based on 1600's technology.
We, South Africans do this all the time when it comes to cars, why not consoles?

1600371591838.png

I love how televisions are amongst the biggest, heaviest most taxed tech. items you typically buy yet somehow they come the closest to international pricing than anything else.

We really are a special bunch.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Well compared to absolute domination of the PS4 last gen comparatively this gen is going to look negative.

Sure the Xbox Series S might out sell the PS5 Disc edition, but the combination of both PS5 consoles will out sell both Series consoles by some margin.

I have a feeling the sales of the XBSS, PS5 and PS5ADE will be really close to each other and the XBSX be in last by a really large margin.

I'm purely looking at it from a consumer/value side
Tell someone who believes you :)

Splinter

Honorary Master
What PS5 titles are you going to get at launch?
On a serious note; to plagiarize another post:

Of these games I will be looking at reviews of Godfall before getting it. Spiderman looked absolutely amazeballs on the showcase the other night, so I'm getting that straight away. Demon Souls - I played the Dark Souls etc before but rage quit because it was too much damn hard work, so I will check out reviews as well first before maybe getting it. But it does look damn good as well.

Then with the PSN Plus just announced, there are a few games I haven't played before.

Also looking forward to some PS4 games upgraded to PS5 for free; most notably Borderlands 3.

In short, there will actually be too many games for me to actually get to all, initially.

What are you getting for your Xbox? It's not Halo Infinite, that's for sure.

Solitude

Executive Member
What are you getting for your Xbox? It's not Halo Infinite, that's for sure.
Will be buying Cyberpunk and AC Valhalla. Will play Game Pass games after that. Really looking forward to The Medium and Scorn that'll both be on Game Pass. But not sure when they will come out.

SHL

Am I correct in saying that with both PS5 consoles, the games still get installed on to the ssd hard drive so if you not planning on buying physical copies of games/movies and you have a fast/stable/uncapped internet connection, then the digital console is the way to go.

Crusader

Expert Member
Am I correct in saying that with both PS5 consoles, the games still get installed on to the ssd hard drive so if you not planning on buying physical copies of games/movies and you have a fast/stable/uncapped internet connection, then the digital console is the way to go.
Yes, that's right. Problem is that the Digital sold out within seconds so if you are planning to pre-order they'll be tough to get.

Crusader

Expert Member
The disc version also seems to be sold out now at Takealot. Took about 1 hour.

ItHurtsWhenIP

ordering the ps4 1TB at $399 off amazon with priority shipping (will get here next week) will cost R10620. This includes VAT, shipping, import duties et al.

Now I promise you our retailers are not paying retail to purchase it. Nor shipping it here on a plane.

Someone is coining it big time.
Making up for the R500 billion...