PS5

_kabal_

Expert Member
not sure TBH.

only thing I have really looked at in this regard was the Digital Foundry tech "review" of the NVMe, and they put in a lot of hours with no heatsink

If I had a PS5, I would probably purchase a separate heatsink. the OEM ones just cost too much IMO (at least as it stands today on amazon, much more reasonable at WD though - https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd#WDS200T1XHE-00AFY0)

I think the major issue at the moment is availability, no heatsink can ship today

Splinter

Honorary Master
Raru has the 1TB in stock Aorus with a heat sink for R4269

Wootware has it as well. Not sure if there is a heatsink though?

Splinter

Honorary Master

Seems I linked the wrong one. It should be this:

We do have the Gigabyte GP-AG70S2TB Aorus Gen4 7000s which is also compatible with the PS5 and includes the heatsink on the SSD.

Have no fear, we've got an alternative recommendation that may suit your needs:

Gigabyte GP-AG70S2TB Aorus Gen4 7000s 2TB M.2 2280 PCI-E 4.0 Solid State Drive
In stock with Supplier
We should be able to procure stock within 1 - 2 business days
R8,180.00

Buy Now

Splinter

Honorary Master
So, the Aorus at R8180 with heatsink, or the Samsung 980 Pro without heatsink at R7692? What says you learned gentlemen?

_kabal_

Expert Member
Geez, that’s nearly the price of a console :ROFL:

I “trust” Samsung SSD more, for no specific reason but past experience (never used a gigabyte SSD, plenty of sammies)

The Voice

Honorary Master
So, the Aorus at R8180 with heatsink, or the Samsung 980 Pro without heatsink at R7692? What says you learned gentlemen?
Avoid drives with additional heatsinks. They're a gimmick, and can stifle performance in certain cases (no pun intended) because they can cool the NAND too much (it likes things toasty). That "sticker" on most drives is already sufficient (it's a heatsink, FYI, not a sticker, so never peel it off).

You don't need a pretty drive anyway. Not like you're going to see it. Just get the most reliable one (Samsung has been making storage for decades - Gigabyte is a mobo/GPU company. Says a lot).

Splinter

Honorary Master
Avoid drives with additional heatsinks. They're a gimmick, and can stifle performance in certain cases (no pun intended) because they can cool the NAND too much (it likes things toasty). That "sticker" on most drives is already sufficient (it's a heatsink, FYI, not a sticker, so never peel it off).

You don't need a pretty drive anyway. Not like you're going to see it. Just get the most reliable one (Samsung has been making storage for decades - Gigabyte is a mobo/GPU company. Says a lot).

Yeah, thanks. I'm going to order the Pro later today

Iwojima

Expert Member
Well as with chip shortages, it might just do the opposite and sky rocket as demand outpace supply.
This is way more likely to be the case.

I don't see this normalizing much in the next year either. Perhaps 2023 when the new factories have come online and have already dealt with the current shortages/backlog.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think the major issue at the moment is availability, no heatsink can ship today

Well, after watching this clip, I'm a bit concerned. Have ordered and paid for a Samsung 2TB 980 Pro today. No heatsink obviously.

A question - if the SSD does overheat, does it result in a critical failure of the entire PS5, or just a shut down?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Allrighty, the Samsung 980 Pro is installed.

My PS5 tells me the read speed is 5668.019 MB/s. Seeing as this SSD supposedly has a read speed of 7000 MB/s, this doesn't seem very good?