PSA: Beware the Vodacom #MegaShake prize upsize

ld13

Honorary Master
So in the Vodacom ShakeUp summer promo is in full swing and last night I decided to burn some Vodabucks we had. After every shake Vodacom tries to 'upsize' you a small bundle of sorts, e.g.:

Nothing untoward here. No thank you.

The MegaShake on the other hand is seemingly a bit different. Here are two megashakes I did earlier:

Last night when I got similar offers, I noticed the lack of a specific price being mentioned, other than 'FREE'. I assumed it was either free or they would pop-up a confirmation window stating the price. Boy, was I wrong.

Vodacom subtracted the airtime in the background and simply sent the normal notification that the bundle has been provisioned. I only noticed what these bundles cost me once I peered at my remaining airtime. I contacted Vodacom on Facebook earlier, trying to get to the bottom of it all, but so far no luck.

How can a transaction be concluded in this manner without the seller revealing what the cost will be? Bit on the deceptive side of the spectrum if you ask me.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Take your luck as it comes...shake your booty...it's for free anyway.

P.S Won a 250Mb data bundle 10 days ago valid for 14 days...not complaining considering it costs me all of 1Mb?? data and a quick shake or 3 of the good 'ol wrist.

ld13

Honorary Master
This is now getting ridiculous. Logic is not prevailing.

<<Hi hi! My mother did a few Megashakes yesterday on her phone with the ShakeUp summer promo, [number]. She was presented with offers as with the normal shakes, where you could upgrade/upsize your prize. I sat with her and saw these offers, one for 5GB+5GB Free for 7 days and another one of 2GB for 30 Days - none of these offers showed any prices? So I told her to accept them, but now it seems like airtime was deducted? I have included a sample screenshot of what it looked like. Could you assist please?

Vodacom fb pleb said:
>>Hi [user]. Thanks for reaching out to us. If she clicked on the "buy" icon, her airtime was going to be deducted automatically as that is what she's using to pay for the purchase.
<<That is indeed so, but the offer did not specify an implicit cost or anything.
It simply showed 5GB + 5GB Free for 7 Days!
On all your other platforms the cost is clearly shown, but not in this case. I feel that it is more than fair to ask that the price of an offer be shown or made clear. This was not the case here.

<<I just bought some airtime to get two more shakes, just so that I can take a screenshot to show you. This is unacceptable man. Have a look and tell me how an end user is supposed to know, using just this screen, what the charge will be?

<<Come now guys, I am not being rude here or being unreasonable. I am calm. Collected. Work with me here. My argument here is that Vodacom is offering bundles to clients without explicitly stating the price/cost. Is it unreasonable for me, an average consumer, to expect to be told the price of a product before I buy it?

Vodacom fb pleb said:
>>Please confirm how much airtime was deducted from your mothers account [user]?
<<R159+R175 on the 14th of November. R334

Vodacom fb pleb said:
>>Please be advised that when you choose the 'Buy' option, you are actually purchasing the data bundle and this will be deducted from your airtime (as it would if you were purchasing the bundle via USSD or app).
<<I am aware of that. That makes 110% sense. The way it was implemented here though, does not. Please, let logic prevail here. Please. You give the merchant your card at the till, at the petrol station, at Sterkinekor, at Spur etc. They then charge your card for the agreed upon amount. The price of the items on the shelf is shown on the shelf, the petrol price and total is shown on the petrol pump, the price of the ticket at sterkinekor is made clear to you, the Spur menu has the prices on the menu. Heck, the card machine even shows you the amount being charged. Why is it now suddenly acceptable to ask a client if they would like a data bundle, and to then charge them for it without informing them of the cost?

It is seemingly OK to charge clients without informing them of the cost. That is nice to know.

@jannievanzyl @Ockie Wie se gort kan ek loop gaan aftrap, waar, because I'm reaching the end of my tether here.

ld13

Honorary Master
Last week and Saturday they responded with:
Hi xxx, The Summer ShakeUp promotion is a new campaign and there may be a few things that need to be ironed out. We have made the relevant team aware of the offers that do not reflect prices, for further investigation.
Since then I have prodded them a few times, and I only get this back:
We will revert with feedback as soon as it's available.
:mad:

Ryansr

Expert Member
Thanks. This seems like a "raffle ticket" sort of thing!

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Doesn't matter when you #boycottVodacom

#freedom
#livin_muh_bEsTlyF