Public amenities in South Africa may be limited to those vaccinated against Covid-19

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Unvaccinated people may be banned from public amenities in South Africa

South Africa may limit the use of public amenities to the people who have been vaccinated against Covid-19, the country’s health minister said.

While a decision hasn’t been taken it is being discussed by the government, Joe Phaahla, the minister, said in the National Council of Provinces on Tuesday.

Swa

Honorary Master
Holy roflol how on earth are they going to enforce this? Also please stop with this
"You can’t have your cake and eat it. You have the right to not have a vaccination, but you have no right to endanger the lives of other people."
You are not endangering anybody by not getting vaccinated.

acidrain

Executive Member
Wait for follow up to see what they include as amenities.

I for one can live without the library, museum and swimming baths for a while

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Holy roflol how on earth are they going to enforce this? Also please stop with this
"You can’t have your cake and eat it. You have the right to not have a vaccination, but you have no right to endanger the lives of other people."
It's worth repeating every time that some wannabe dictator make the factually incorrect argument that getting vaccinated will safe other people. That is false.

If you are fat, definitely get vaccinated. Improve your odds.

I can't speak for other hospitals or cities, but St George's here in PE has had as near as zero Covid patients in the ICU this year who were vaccinated. If you wind up in your local ICU because you refused to get a vaccine, and take up a bed that would have otherwise saved someone else's life, then your actions did have serious consequences. There have been several periods where your only chance of securing a bed was after an existing patient died. Hospital space is critically scarce when the Covid is going strong.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Demonstrably NOT TRUE!

but that does not justify authoritarianism. Let each institution and organization make their own rules, based on their own risk profiles.

Still, there are a vanishingly small number of valid reasons not to get vaccinated.

Most anti-vaxers I have spoken to are just slapgat!

Sapphiron

Expert Member
It mutates either way.
Let's just give it more chances to mutate.

We already know it affects the brain in many cases, we can hope it develops the ability to make people's testicles fall off. Then you will see people queue all day for the vaccine.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I can't speak for other hospitals or cities, but St George's here in PE has had as near as zero Covid patients in the ICU this year who were vaccinated. If you wind up in your local ICU because you refused to get a vaccine, and take up a bed that would have otherwise saved someone else's life, then your actions did have serious consequences. There have been several periods where your only chance of securing a bed was after an existing patient died. Hospital space is critically scarce when the Covid is going strong.
I pay my medical aid so that I can get a ICU bed if I need one. I pay a shıt load of money and never go to a doctor. So I absolutely won't feel guilty if I need to use it once.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Let's just give it more chances to mutate.

We already know it affects the brain in many cases, we can hope it develops the ability to make people's testicles fall off. Then you will see people queue all day for the vaccine.
Natural selection.

With an ineffective vaccine you are selecting for the strongest most resistant strains.