Public Protector wilts as SANDF, minister stick to guns

schumi

Honorary Master
Public Protector wilts as SANDF, minister stick to guns

Defiant Defence and Military Veterans’ Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula and the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) have stuck to their guns and refused to implement Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s remedial action.

In turn, Mkhwebane is now tiptoeing around her powers to lay a charge of contempt against the minister and the military.

Mkhwebane warned Mapisa-Nqakula that she would haul her into court to enforce the report made last year in July but has since climbed down, saying this week that she did not have the money to do so.

“Due to financial constraints, the Public Protector cannot afford to press ahead with contempt proceedings,” said Mkhwebane.

Instead, she asked the minister again to comply, “failing which she will report her to the National Assembly”.

The case involved the SANDF’s non-compliance with the 2012 recommendation of the military ombudsman to reinstate an unlawfully dismissed air force member, Lieutenant Colonel Babalo Mvithi, who then turned to Mkhwebane for protection.

He has still not been reinstated.

Mkhwebane denied failing in her duties to hold Mapisa-Nqakula accountable, adding that she had done all the law required of her.

She denied removing her deputy advocate Kevin Malunga from the case, saying Malunga was in charge of the mediation process and the investigation, but she had to sign off the final report.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ilts-as-sandf-minister-stick-to-guns-20180811

f2wohf

Honorary Master
My response is based on her actions, once again. Irrelevant whether the minister is right or wrong.
If they don't have the budget to go to court, she can't do much.

“Due to financial constraints, the Public Protector cannot afford to press ahead with contempt proceedings,” said Mkhwebane.

Instead, she asked the minister again to comply, “failing which she will report her to the National Assembly”.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Mkhwebane denied failing in her duties to hold Mapisa-Nqakula accountable, adding that she had done all the law required of her.
Much the same as the bloke in the charge office taking down robbery details.

Envelope and file it. I've done all the law has asked of me.