Putting TV resolutions in South Africa to the test

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Putting TV resolutions in South Africa to the test

MyBroadband tested the screen resolutions of televisions and computer monitors in South Africa, and two TVs had higher resolution panels than advertised.

The JVC 127cm Full HD TV and the Aiwa 146cm Full HD televisions have 4K panels instead of the advertised 1080p.

The engineer who performed the testing said both TVs came up as 1080p (Full HD) displays when connected to a computer. They also don't seem to support any higher resolution inputs.

Totempole

Expert Member
Impressive to see the vastly different pixel arrays on these screens. I had no idea they were all so different.

Also great to see that there don't seem to be any more fake "Full HD" panels floating around at prominent retailers anymore (Looking at you NuWorld! :mad:)

redspark

Expert Member
Would have good to include non-TV units like the Mecer 4k UHD panel displays, which I own. So far, very happy with my unit.

Corelli

Expert Member
Honestly theyre all crap. Having a higher resolution is like saying well the more megapixels you have, the better. Alas its not.

So why do film companies pay so much more for a 4k Arri Camera over a Sony handycam? Simple...

Colour accuracy.

It can be 8k but if your colour accuracy is only 50% then it means well only half of the colours is correct. On cheap panels they try to brighten up etc but the colour isnt really accurate.

Thats also why mac screens are so costly and why you by a Dell Ultrasharp Dreamcolour. When you edit and print photos, even 10% darker at the bottom than the top is a no no.

And that brings us to part 2. Colour uniformity. It should be accurate across the entire panel. Not like cheap panels where one spot is darker or redder or more blue. Money never lies.

Lastly motion refresh and accurate motion refresh. Yip when things move you dont want blur.

And thats why resolution means absolutely nill when needing a good panel. And why well...money never lies.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Honestly theyre all crap. Having a higher resolution is like saying well the more megapixels you have, the better. Alas its not.

So why do film companies pay so much more for a 4k Arri Camera over a Sony handycam? Simple...

Colour accuracy.

It can be 8k but if your colour accuracy is only 50% then it means well only half of the colours is correct. On cheap panels they try to brighten up etc but the colour isnt really accurate.

Thats also why mac screens are so costly and why you by a Dell Ultrasharp Dreamcolour. When you edit and print photos, even 10% darker at the bottom than the top is a no no.

And that brings us to part 2. Colour uniformity. It should be accurate across the entire panel. Not like cheap panels where one spot is darker or redder or more blue. Money never lies.

Lastly motion refresh and accurate motion refresh. Yip when things move you dont want blur.

And thats why resolution means absolutely nill when needing a good panel. And why well...money never lies.
So we should ignore resolution when buying a monitor / TV as it is completely irrelevant?

kolaval

Executive Member
So we should ignore resolution when buying a monitor / TV as it is completely irrelevant?
No, I think he meant it's a prominent thing used in advertising but only accounts for a fraction of the picture quality.
That said, for most of us it does not matter. I've seen 24k LG, 6k skyworth and 3k Hisense and they're all fine.
Most people seem to work fine on a POS 15" 1366x768 budget laptop screen as well.

Speedster

Honorary Master
No, I think he meant it's a prominent thing used in advertising but only accounts for a fraction of the picture quality.
That said, for most of us it does not matter. I've seen 24k LG, 6k skyworth and 3k Hisense and they're all fine.
Most people seem to work fine on a POS 15" 1366x768 budget laptop screen as well.
My point is he is completely missing the point of the article. There is great validity in confirming the panel specs of models (especially given the historical inconsistencies).

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Impressive to see the vastly different pixel arrays on these screens. I had no idea they were all so different.

Also great to see that there don't seem to be any more fake "Full HD" panels floating around at prominent retailers anymore (Looking at you NuWorld! :mad:)
They didn't test 32 inch TV's unless I'm missing something?

Magnum

Expert Member
I have 2 Samsung 28" 4k Monitors. Nothing really that Amazing. Bright games and backgrounds are a no-no.
nice big size though.

Then I start my 1080P 24" HD samsung up and I'm like these 4k monitors are Amazing.....

Swa

Honorary Master
Not really a good way of testing as even 1mm discrepancy means a few pixels. Does nobody have Photoshop to create a grid of 10x10 pixels and then simply counting if they're all there?

McGuywer

Executive Member
I am more concerned about the OS running.
Will my Netflix/DStv/etc work in a couple of years on the TV?

Sony really stuffed me there.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Not really a good way of testing as even 1mm discrepancy means a few pixels. Does nobody have Photoshop to create a grid of 10x10 pixels and then simply counting if they're all there?
How would you account for different sized pixels on different displays? Especially with upscaling thrown into the mix.

Don't know why you say it's not a good way of testing, it's basically a microscope on pixels. A discrepancy of even a few hundred pixels doesn't matter to ascertain if it's 1080p or 2160p since the difference between the two resolutions is literally 6 million pixels.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Colour accuracy.
No, they can get color accuracy from a 1080p camera as well. They pay extra to get a higher resolution as then you have more information to work with, e.g. if you need to crop something out, or zooming or better framing.

Those are all aspects, resolution is also one, you can't just say resolution doesn't matter.

Corelli

Expert Member
No, they can get color accuracy from a 1080p camera as well. They pay extra to get a higher resolution as then you have more information to work with, e.g. if you need to crop something out, or zooming or better framing.

Those are all aspects, resolution is also one, you can't just say resolution doesn't matter.
Resolution is important for more detail yes but what I am saying thats not the only thing. It also depends on your source.

For the average Joe they will probably never notice it. Just make it bright and shiny and they will love it. And well cheap.

But great screens doesnt just focus on resolution but look at for example Adobe RGB levels too which deals with colour accuracy.